1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Active/passive switch question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Feb 17, 2014.

1. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

I recently had my tech install a push/pull pot for active and passive mode.Mostly because if I ever forget to pull the plug on the bass I don't want to needlessly drain the batteries. I'm now leaving the bass plugged in and I turn off the preamp but it seems that the batteries are still draining pretty quickly.
    This may be a dumb question but ...
    When I pull the pot to turn off the preamp but I leave my bass plugged in, is the the battery still getting drained?

2. line6man

line6man

Yes. Active/passive switches are meant to bypass preamps. Power is always switched by the output jack. It is not a good idea to do power switching from an active/passive switch, because it requires additional poles, causes popping and DC offsets, and really doesn't offer any benefit.

3. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Glad I asked. I just started leaving the bass plugged in all the time thinking my batteries were switched off. OK, I won't do that anymore:)

4. brainburst

brainburst

On one of my basses the bypass switch is a four pole double throw center off switch. One set of poles is to bypass the preamp the other to power off the preamp. Center off cuts off output. Bypass cap in the on position to limit pops. Certainly less pop than plugging in the instrument.

5. Register to disable this ad