1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

active pick up stories

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

My battery died today for the second time. The first time it happened I was had a heart attack thinking something was wrong with my amp; this time I thought I had messed with my volume knob randomly, all the more odd since I haven't plugged in in a few weeks.

Anyone else think something else is wrong with your bass?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
    Never had my bass' battery die while playing. I've screwed up a few songs during practice when my wireless batteries went dead though.

Does your bass actually have active pickups, or just an active EQ? The only active pickup stories I have involve explaining the difference between the two to about a thousand people :D

3. speak2planets

speak2planets Supporting Member

My John East preamp has a passive/active toggle in case just such a thing occurs

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    One time I was at Jose's bar and Bistro, with seven of my friends, and there was this blonde.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. El-Bob

El-Bob

Only happened to me once... just pulled the volume pot on my 'wick and finished the set passive.

7. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

It happened to me once. I had forgotten to change the battery when I changed my strings as I always do and I to went start the first song at a gig with a dead guitar. It was quite embarrassing to be removing the back plate while the band was playing the first song. That never happened again.

Be sure to always unplug your bass when you are not playing it. This is one reason I hate DIs. They make a big pop in the PA when I unplug.

8. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

And? :eyebrow:

Edit: I want to hear the rest of it....

9. Tupac

Tupac

He picked her up. And then put her down.

10. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

No pictures, it didn't happened.... :ninja:

11. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Every time I've played an active bass, I've gotten great tone with awesome flexibility. Never had a battery go out on me, onstage or in rehearsal. I change my battery once every few string changes, around every 9 months. I have absolutely no fear of playing an active (as long a it's one of mine!)

12. spade2you

spade2you

Never had a battery die on me at practice or live. I check the batteries from time to time. I bring extra 9v batteries and a battery tester with me.

If your batteries are dying all the time, there's a chance that something is completing the circuit, usually in the output jack. Otherwise, I've had many 9v batteries last for many years.

13. agreatheight

agreatheight

Had one battery die live once, about 30 years ago, in a wireless. Crap battery I expect. I have been playing active basses for 25 years, and never have a problem. I always am sure to remove the cable when I am not playing, though, including gig breaks.

14. rubbadubdub

rubbadubdub

Two things that Iv'e witnessed at gigs puts me off them. I remember watching a dude playing a Stingray with a great tone until he fiddled with the eq and buried himself in the mix. From then on I prefer to avoid adjusting anything more than a passive tone roll off before my di. If I need to change volume or eq I will adjust my amp. The rest is up to the sound dude.
    The second lesson I learned was when we did a gig in front of several thousand people and our acoustic guitarists battery failed a few bars in. I now have two pickups in my acoustic guitar and have passive / active switches fitted to my active basses.

15. keiththebassist

keiththebassist

My Actives are EMG's, in the spec's it says a high quality 9v should be good for 1,500 hours of playing time. When I'm not sure about battery life I throw in a new one right before a gig just to be safe. But it's not a bad idea to have a Digital volt/ohm meter handy so you can see what it's actually got left in it.

16. oniman7

oniman7

I keep 9 volt batteries in my gig bag but in 3 years have only replaced.2 batteries out of choice before big shows. I own 3 active bases

17. oniman7

oniman7

I keep my stingray at max controls. Pickup switching and amp EQ is all I've ever needed

18. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

One time a few years ago I had a battery die on me at home. I was freaked out because that was a first for me and the thing sounded like it was dying... I change the battery, and... Nothing happens! Still sounds all weird and ****ed up. In my panic I took it down to the store.

Clerk checks it out. First thing he tells me, my bass is way outta tune (duh it was tuned BEAD man!). I tell him I tried a battery swap already.

He tries a new 9v and voila ... It works again. Man that was so embarrassing... :bag:

Was not the first time a fresh battery was dead right out of the package. I keep more than one around in case it happensnagain...

19. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

I have a question for you guys who max out your active EQ's...doesn't that really hit the amp hard? or the recording interface? I've only tried doing that a couple times on my active basses and it was way too extreme. I got the sense that the amp or speaker (maybe both) couldn't handle it, and I had no control over dynamics. but it seems like a lot of people do it :confused: im not trying to troll, im just curious.

20. elgecko

elgecko

That's weird, I've never had a battery "die" while playing. I get plenty of advance warning in the form of a slight distortion during the decay of a note. Even then, I could go another week.

I've heard of people maxing passive tone controls but never active. That's just asking for trouble.

21. spade2you

spade2you

Usually a sign you need to cut the gain or push the active switch on the amp, which subtracts a little input volume.