1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Active Pickups Battery Leakage

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by AbioticDreams, Dec 30, 2013.

1. AbioticDreams

AbioticDreams

Last week I bought an Ibanez GSR206, (which I'm on the fence about defretting, but that's beside the point). I ran into some personal stuff since I bought it, and wasn't able to change the battery right away. Today, I finally had some free time, and I got around to changing the battery; however, the battery leaked inside the battery compartment. My question is how I could clean the leakage in the compartment, without damaging the wood? Also, opinions on defretting the bass?

2. megafiddle

megafiddle

First, a common cause of battery leakage is leaving the circuit in an "on" state
    while the batterey is dead.
    So make sure the circuit is really off when not in use, or remove the battery if not sure.
    And never leave dead batteries in anything.

Clean with warm water, (dampened paper towel or rag) and immediately dry everything off with clean towel.
    May have to do several times.

Metal parts may very well be corroded beyond cleaning. Best to replace those.

-

3. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Baking soda and water. It neutralizes acid. Good for auto battery posts as well.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Not true for bass batteries. They are alkaline (opposite of acid) Works for car batteries which are acid.

Best is to use distilled water (with wet rag if you can). If possible take all electronics out, and rinse with distilled water. Scrub with tooth brush if necessary. Try to keep water off wood (why you take electronics out) and out of places where it can collect (inside pots etc.) When all of the goo and crystals are off, give final rinse with distilled water and then use air dusting can to blow off as much water as you can. Then give a quick blow dry with a hair dryer. Finally put it aside for a day before putting it all back together and applying power to be sure any water that got into a crevasse dried. If metal parts corroded too much as suggested above replace them (usually things around battery like battery clip etc.)

Oddly I also own a GSR 206 with plans to turn it fretless. But the darn thing has such great tone as it is, I keep putting off the project!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AbioticDreams

AbioticDreams

Definitely the sound on it is absolutely amazing! I'm definitely upgrading the pickups though. They're good but have potential at the same time. I'm still very apprehensive on the defretting though.

7. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Doesn't matter. Soda will clean. It up best and bring pH closer to neutral.

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

This

Also, if you are going to pull the electronics to protect the wood, why not use an even more aggressive solvent to make an easier job of removing the corrosion and oxidation?

Last of all, if it's a 9V battery, I'd just go ahead and replace the battery tab and wires attached to it unless the mung never got bad enough to get on that particular piece. The wires are thin and it only takes a little crud to damage them where failure is a forgone conclusion, even if they are currently working.

9. pfox14

pfox14

I don't get the whole defretting thing myself. Yeah, I know Jaco did it, but why buy a fretted bass when you want a fretless?