Active preamp question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by birminghambass, Feb 23, 2014.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Ok, I know there are preamps out there that have adjustable gain settings my question is do they allow you to set the volume lower than passive? I have a L2000 that is much much louder than my other basses. I'm looking for a preamp that will let me match it's volume to my other basses.
  2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Assuming you mean onboard preamps, nearly all of them have a volume knob. :) Also some have an internal trim pot that sets the maximum gain. I'm not sure if there's a list of which ones have that though.
  4. birminghambass

Oops, I should have been more clear. Looking for an internal preamp, not a pedal.
    And yes I'm already adjusting the volume knob, it would be ideal for me if I could set it internally. I'm just not sure if adjustable gain would let me turn it down from my starting point.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I realize it's not quite what you asked for, but it does exactly what you're looking for without:

a) Requiring surgery on your bass
    b) Altering your bass' tone, which I'm assuming you already are happy with.

Changing out an entire internal preamp to fix one gain matching issue between instruments seems like throwing out the baby with the bathwater, y'know?
  7. birminghambass

I'm not buying a pedal. I want to add an on board preamp that has adjustable eq and the ability to lower the volume internally.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I've switched most of my preamps to Bartolini's for this exact reason. I try not to use preamps without internal gain controls, makes it too hard to match levels between different basses/pickups. Most can be dailed down to where it's a little lower volume compared to passive bypass, but it depends on your pickups. Higher output pickups will have more leeway.

Along with Bartolini, Nordstrand pre's have this feature. Aguilar, EMG, Audere, Delano, and Glockenklang do not.