1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Active to passive

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Joe Milo, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Hey fellas,

I have the MIM Fender Precision Deluxe Special 2010....She is sporting Fender's noiseless PJ pickups...I'm not happy with the tone I get from this bass....It is rather sterile...I'm looking more for the growly tone....

If I want that growly tone and would like to switch to passive and get that tone is it possible? Curious as to which PUP manufacturer would get me there...

The bass has the tone knob...stacked treble/bassknob....pup blend knob....and master volume....

If I were to switch to a passive pup configuration would I still be able to use all of those knobs or would I just have to leave them installed and just know in my head that some of the knobs don't function after a passive pup install?

My rig is Hartke LH500 thru Hartke XL4X10 and Hartke 4.5X10XL...I play anything from CLassic to modern rock.

2. line6man

line6man

That bass has passive pickups.

3. MIMike

MIMike

As mentioned, those pickups are already passive, it's your pre-amp that activates them.
    You could run a passive volume and tone control for each pickup and make use of all 4 knobs you currently have. If you did want to replace the PUs, there are plenty of mfgs that make a PJ combo. Almost every one of them will be passive...there are very few "active pickups" available. It's the onboard pre-amp that makes the bass active.

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I recently removed the electronics from my 2011 MIA Jazz Deluxe and installed a passive setup including Lindy Fralin pickups, new pots and capacitors. I also shielded the cavity. The bass sounds better than ever.

5. Register to disable this ad