1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

actual spec difference in the mex and usa pbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fnordlyone, Dec 6, 2013.

1. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Okay, there is a Mexican P Bass I can get for $200. He says he bought it 7 years ago. My basic question is this: if one makes the pickup upgrade on a mid 2000 MIM P, will it sound close to a real USA? I've done an A/B with them new and find the USA much better. But at this price, it makes one wonder… could a couple of hundred dollar upgrades make it sound like a true P (at half price)? I'd go play it, but it's two hour's drive and I've played similar at the music store. What makes the American sound better, speaking to the upgrade factor?
    thanks again vets,
    fnord!
  2. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I'm guessing how the pickups are made and what materials they use it with. I Can tell you generally, American Fenders > Mexican Fenders, BUT that's not always the case.

I've heard that the wood types affect sound and tone more than the pickups. Can anyone actually confirm/deny this?