1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Add Active Preamp to Passive PU's?

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by davreso, Dec 3, 2013.

1. davreso

davreso

I have a wonderfully responsive bubinga body Corvette, (Jazz Bass style, 2 single coil pu's) with stock, passive PU's. Great sound, but rather weak PU output, especially in lower registers.

Would it make sense to buy the onboard pre-amp that the more expensive Warwicks have? (Wired to the existing PU's)- or another manufacturer's active electronics?

I'm kind of new to the Warwick scene, and am really impressed with the high quality and playability of this bass, and am wondering if this kind of upgrade makes more sense than buying Bartolini or EMG replacements.

Thanks,

David

2. Arron2882

Arron2882

I put a Bart 2 band into my corvette and love it! I chose it in part because it has a adjustable gain on the preamp, which will allow you to have a hotter output.

3. davreso

davreso

Aaron

Thanks for the response. I ended up swapping the Warwick MEC's for a set of DiMarzio J pickups- which made a HUGE difference in tonal response, and they are humbucking with individual polepieces to balance the string output. Great complement to the bubinga 'Vette!

I've ordered an Aguilar 2 band Pre-amp wired up to have a bypass switch to either run the pups passive or with the boost/cut on the pre-amp, which has a seperate treble and bass stacked pot. I believe the Aguilar is very similar to your Bart 2 Band.