1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Add passive Tone to Sterling?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by StuartV, Feb 6, 2014.

1. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I had a Sadowsky J that was active/passive with the Sadowsky Vintage Tone Control. As far as I can tell, the VTC is just a passive Tone control that is wired to work even when the active preamp is engaged.

I really, really liked what I could get out of that bass using the VTC in active mode.

Now, I have an EBMM Sterling 5H and I have the idea to add a passive Tone control to it. The bass has 4 knobs now - Volume + a 3 band EQ.

A lot of people seem to prefer the older MM 2 band EQ, and the John East preamp seems to be acknowledged as giving the same sound as the original MM 2 band EQ preamp.

So, what I'm thinking of doing is changing my bass to the East 3 band, 3 knob (Volume plus 2 stacked knobs, giving Treble, Bass, Mid and Mid-frequency sweep) pre, and then using the 4th hole in the bass to add a passive Tone knob.

Do any of y'all have any input on this? Is it a bad idea for some reason?

Also, I'm wondering if I can get some kind of pot for the Tone knob that maybe has a click detent at one end of the rotation that makes it a true bypass, or maybe true Off would be a better description. In other words, instead of being a full 250K or 500K ohms resistance, actually be an open circuit, to completely remove the tone cap from the circuit, so the bass would sound exactly the same as if the Tone pot wasn't in there at all.

Any thoughts you care to share are welcome and appreciated.