1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Added Tone to my G&L SB-2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StuartV, Sep 17, 2013.

1. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I finally completely my little project. If you don't count the new soldering station and supplies I treated myself to, it probably cost me about $25.

I have a G&L SB-2, which, stock, has 2 volumes and that's it. I decided I wanted to have a Master Volume (for quick, one-twist muting - and without changing my pickup mix) and a Tone. I spent about $25 on 2 stacked pots, the corresponding knobs, some vintage-style cloth wiring, and a small pack of Orange Drop caps. Oh, and a new Switchcraft output jack.

Tonight, I finished taking out the complete stock control setup - including the original output jack - and putting in my new control setup. I included doing a new output jack simply so that I can put it back to stock with the absolute minimum numer of solder joints. It's just 2 pickup leads and all the ground wires from the pickups and bridge.

For the new controls, I made the front (neck side) stack Master Volume on top and Tone on bottom. The rear stack has neck pickup volume on top and bridge on bottom.

I used all 500K pots (2 stacked pots, so 4 total) to replace the original 2 250K pots, so the overall system impedance should be the same (I think). So, the bass should sound exactly the same as stock when everything is wide open. And, by just adjusting the individual pickup volumes, I should be able to get any sound the stock bass could get.

But, now it has TONE! :D Seriously, though. The stock bass could get a LOT of different sounds, just by adjusting the volumes of the pickups. But, it could not get that seriously thumpy Motown sound. Now, I roll off that Tone knob and it gives me exactly the same kind of thumpy sound I could get with any regular P bass I've played.

I generally like to play it with the neck pickup at 100% and the bridge pickup at around 20%. Now, I can do that and also roll off the Master volume to mute it with just one turn of one knob. And, turn it back up without having to readjust anything to get the exact pickup blend I was using before.

I am loving it!

Next step: record a clip with it like it is now to compare to the clip I recorded the other night when it was still stock. I want to verify for myself that it really does (or, can) sound the same as before.

Woohoo!!! It's almost like a New Bass Day! :bassist::hyper::bassist::hyper::bassist: