1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Adding a cab to my Barefaced Compact. BF, Schroeder or Vanderkley?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mcnach, Jan 22, 2014.

1. mcnach

mcnach

I want to get a second cab to complement my Barefaced Compact (2nd gen). It will have to be 8ohm.
    When using both cabs, I'll most likely be using a Markbass LMIII.

The Compact is nice, but a little on the dark side. I'm looking for something that has enough "oomph" and is a bit more "clear" and prominent on the midrange.

Oh, and I want to keep it reasonably small (up to BF compact size or so) and *light*.
    Yes, I care about it being light. Bite me. :p

I'm looking at 3 possibilities, but I'm open to others... I wonder what the collective wisdom and experience here says. The three options I have here are all in the same price range, roughly.

1)
    Barefaced Big Baby 2
    1x12"
    56 x 45 x 37cm H,W,D (stacks nicely on the Compact)
    13Kg (light!)
    not the nicest handles, but at 13Kg not an issue.
    97db
    30Hz - 20KHz
    timescale: 3-months wait or so?
    returns: 30-day trial, easy.

2)
    Schroeder 1210
    1x12" + 1x10"
    60 x 48 x 41cm (stacks perfectly on the compact)
    17Kg (reasonable)
    handles are not very comfortable
    102db
    40Hz - 18KHz
    timescale: 2-weeks + shipping from USA (air freight)
    returns: not practical, too expensive (USA)

3)
    Vanderkley 210MNT
    2x10"
    50 x 50 x 41 (stacks nicely, just 2cm wider than the Compact)
    17Kg (reasonable)
    great comfy handles
    100db
    45Hz - 16KHz
    timescale: in stock, UK (Bass Direct)
    returns: at least 7 days, I have not checked further.

I have not tried any of them and I'm not likely to be able to try before I buy...
    I like my mids... think "fingerstyle funk" with a Stingray or Jazz on bridge pickup alone (in the latter case, with a J-Retro preamp fattening up the bottom end a bit).

The lazy guy in me wants to go BF, but what I hear about the Schroeder and VdK cabs makes me think they're probably a very good option... and 4 more Kg won't kill me, especially with a nice handle. The grip on the VdK has a cylindrical cross-section and I find those nice when carrying weight. The ones on the Schroeder these days look a lot like the ones on the TCE RS210, flattened, and they dig in my hand after a bit (I have soft hands, ok? :lol:)

decisions, decisions...

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Talk to Alex and find out what works best with the one you have. My thought is you should have a matching cab to get the best out of your set up. Mismatched cabs are a complete crapshoot.

3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Barefaced Midget, because it matches up that way. Or another compact and hte being higher will give you more top from being closer to axis.

4. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

I would definitely ask Alex what he thinks and go with that. If you can avoid mixing brands, the likelihood of coming out with a unified voice probably goes up. Which is not to say the others wouldn't sound good.

The great thing about Barefaced is that you can actually try their stuff in your band before being stuck with it. I just paid the balance on my 69er to Alex. Can't wait!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. alexclaber

alexclaber

Disclosures:
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Clearly my opinion on this is very predictable but I should add that the wait for any Barefaced cab isn't as long now!

7. xroads

xroads

This.
    Mixing brands/types of cabs can be a quite frustrating journey; I would listen to a suggestion from the manufacturer.

8. mcnach

mcnach

Ha ha :)
    Yes, I thought I could predict your opinion.

Well, I have spent a little over a week thinking about this, even if I only started this thread yesterday.
    This morning I woke up with a plan, and looking at the posts so far, it's probably a good one.

You'll be getting an email from me tonight. :)
    On paper I like the BB2 more than the Midget/SuperMidget...

9. mcnach

mcnach

Thanks for all the replies... a BF Big Baby 2 has just been ordered.