Adding a J pup to a P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
    Anyone know of any good luthiers in NJ (I'm in Hunterdon county so I can also go into eastern PA) who I can trust to put a J pup into my 2008 American standard P-bass?
  2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

i know this isnt what you asked, but i would recommend trading in your '08 towards a fretted tony franklin sig, a p-bass deluxes(the original passive ones) the american hot-rod p-bass(they dont get a lot of love around TB) or go for a G&L SB-2. but, unless you really love the feel of that '08, ask yourself if you are ok with hacking it up, with the possibility of it not meeting your expectations. not trying to be a jerk here, just trying to offer some sound advice.
  3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Good advice. But if you do decide to do it, know that a lot more goes into it than just routing and throwing any old P and J pickups in there. The electronics have to suit the design. Which Precision pickup will you use? Which Jazz? What will the control layout be? What spec ohm pickups for which position? 60's or 70's spacing on the J? Which capacitor or capacitors will best suit the circuit? Should you add a blend knob? Concentric?

I might have overshot and you probably have all this figured out, but if not, think some more.
  4. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
    Love the advice. The reason I'm going down this road is I have a franklin fretless, a 60th anniversary American P and an American J. I LOVE the feel of my 08 P and my 60th is amazing. Looking to round out the collection with a bass I love.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Best bet is usually to go with a matched P/J set, rather than take a chance on mixing Ps and Js of different makes & models. Several manufacturers offer just such a thing, including Nordstrand, Delano, and Bill Lawrence/Wilde, among others.

MM
  7. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

in that case, as MM stated, seek out a matched set. check out demos, reviews, the pickups forum to see what others have to say. if you have a very clear idea of what you want tonally, it will help others guide you to the set that best meets those goals.
  8. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Geddy Lee 'P' Supporting Member

I went to these guys- last year- did a nice job... Charles was a pleasure to deal with! (have since traded the bass... this IS TalkBass- right)

http://www.guitarrestorationsinc.net/

... bit longer drive- might be worth your while?