1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Adding a second chick singer?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Lobomov, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Lobomov

Lobomov

We are guitar/bass/drums + a female singer. She is the youngest at 33, two at 40 and oldest is 50 .. a good old fashion cover band. We all have busy jobs on the side and are satisfied ... and this is not really intended to make us rich :D

Problem is that our singer is unstable. Her workplace is understaffed and besides she get easily stressed, so she cancels rehearsal frequently .. I can't remember last time, we've played two weeks in a row.

Now I haven't started this thread to hear you guys tell me, we need to fire hear and get another. She has great voice and also can whip out harmonies on the fly. I take the harmonies, that she whips up, tho I DO NOT have a great voice.

But I've been thinking, that we need another singer. For one thing having someone else that me singing harmonies would be awesome, but also it make is less sensitive against cancellations.

But chicks are chicks and I'm wondering, can you make a band with two chicks sharing vocal duties work. In theory it sounds like an awesome idea (we could to ABBA covers ... yay! or B52s love shack with me as the male clown)

So what says TB .. two chicks sharing vocal duties .. go or no?

Any experiences?

2. elgecko

elgecko

If they like each other and get along, yes. If not... :eek:

3. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I have seen it work well. It depends on the personalities. That sums up most band dynamics, whether it is chick singers or bald guy old bass players.

4. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

I wouldn't do it. They'll form a cabal and fire you.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

If they both really want it to work, it might. Otherwise. the fuse is lit and the dynamite is ready to explode.

7. Lobomov

Lobomov

Two omnious warnings :eyebrow:

Tres cool .. that is good to hear :)

It would put me out of my misery, so another win :D

And the score is tied at 2-2 :hyper:

8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

i flipped a coin and it landed on tailS - so go for it

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Try it, and make sure and tell all the stories RIGHT HERE.

Take lots of photos.

10. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

There really are so many ways that this can go. And a lot of that depends on how you present the new singer to the band and especially the original singer.

You have to try to sell this as a way to enhance the sound of the band. Otherwise it's going to come across blatantly like you're trying to edge out the old singer. The new singer should have a slightly different range. That way she can cover leads on some material that hadn't been suited to the original singer. And this new singer should also be a strong on harmonies, too. Plus, she'll need to have enough range so that if the current lead singer flakes out that she can take over as needed.

Looking at it laid out like that? It sounds like something of a tall order.

11. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

This issue came up a while ago. There was a woman our guitarist had played with a few times, and who has a decent voice. We asked our singerbabe (who is more tall and thin than not) what she would think about this. She was all for it. Then our drummer said she was concerned there might not be enough room on the very small stage where we often play. The rest of us, who have met the other singer, all burst out laughing. The second singer is a LARGE woman. We decided that our drummer, who had not met this woman, had a really good point, based purely on physical dimensions. The drummer was temporarily embarrassed about being so perceptive, but she saw the humor in it soon enough. We still have one singer.

12. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

It works in my current band. Both have distinctive voices, different from the other. They have worked on harmonies very well and their voices blend nicely. It can work.

13. repoman

repoman

You can have ours... :)

14. Lobomov

Lobomov

That is nice to hear .. I'll give it a go.

:eyebrow:

15. Lobomov

Lobomov

I'm going to venture the suggestion, when we meet next. Drummer is with me on this one. Only problem I see is the singer ... (like duh).

She can be very competive, and when someone is better than her, she hides under a rock and cries. I have yet to see how she reacts, when she is better.

Anyways .. thing is, that I'm balancing two kids of my own (and ex-wife) together with current girlfriend with a kid more. Girlfriend works both days and evenings being a nurse and currently is making an effort to keep thursday night free for me, so it feel stupid that every other week it gets cancelled. I'm going to give this a swirl and if it doesn't work, I'm pulling the plug. (I'm the newest member in the band, so that is only natural).

Like the chinese say, these are interesting times ... wish me luck. Thanks for your input. It is good to know, that it can work.

16. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

LOL

17. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

Repeatedly cancelling practice would be a no-go for me. I would have a talk with the current singer and make sure she can really commit to being in this band before doing anything.

18. Lobomov

Lobomov

Life isn't really that easy .. I'm sure she is 100% commited just until couple of hours before band practice. Then stuff just happens. ... you know :)

19. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

Sometimes life is just as complicated as you're willing to make it...or complicated as how much crap you are willing to take.

20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

If you consider you're female singers "chicks" then you need to skip it all together

21. Beltdrive

Beltdrive

Adding another chick singer will double the issue. I've been there done that, it was a rough two years of cat fights, jealously, boy friend issues, family matters, I'm too fat, nothing to ware, my mic smells funny, my throat hurts (see boy friend issues :), song stops every time someone farts and I should get paid more than her. Good luck!