1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Adding A Tweeter To A Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by minstrelka, Dec 15, 2012.

1. minstrelka

minstrelka

Hello All,

I have a 410 Peavey Headliner Bass Cab that does not have a tweeter or horn but I would like to add one. Any suggestions on how I should go about doing this?

2. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Mod: please move this to Amps.

3. bassteban

bassteban

I'd suggest first posting in amps

4. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Luckily I can turn mine off

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

:)

7. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

If you can solder, know the difference between series and parallel wiring, and are comfortable drilling and sawing a tweeter can be aded pretty easily.

You will need a tweeter, crossover for the tweeter and an L-pad to adjust the tweeter level.

Here's what to order:

Eminence 3rd order crossover at 3.5kHz

Eminence APT-80 Horn Tweeter

50w, 8 ohm L-pad

Total cost around $95 shipped.

You could mount the crossover and L-pad on the inside of the back panel next to to connection terminal plate. Connect the crossover input (+ and _) to the cab input jack. The tweeter will be in parallel with the 10's, but will see only highs. Wire the L-pad to the crossover tweeter terminals and the tweeter following directions with the L-pad. The L-pad will allow the tweeter to run from full shutoff to a few db louder than the cab (pretty hot). Mount the tweeter in the hole you made for it at the center of the baffle, between all four 10's, just like most other 410's that come with horns. If there is a front to back brace at that location, you might be able to move it about 2 inches or replace it with 2-4 smaller ones. OTOH, it might be simpler and would be more functional (tweeter is a little higher and can be aimed) to mount the tweeter, crossover and L-pad in a small box to be placed on top of the cab or stack. Just plug the tweeter into the second 1/4 inch jack on the cab.

Of course feel free to check in with any questions.

Good luck!

8. minstrelka

minstrelka

Thank you for your help!

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

You would be better adding a good mid-range instead of a tweeter. Most woofers run out of steam way below where a tweeter is able to start.

10. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    Where would could you fit a Mid-Range speaker in a Peavey 410 ?
    He would be lucky to fit a tweeter in there let alone a Horn !
    I did this to my cabs because the speakers are BP102`s.....Low-End response is huge so a Motorola Piezo tweeter went in.At first it was hard to use at full range but ive gotten used to it now.
    I added a Resistor to protect the Poweramp from ultra sonic highs but what i didnt know is the amp already has this built in.
    Give it a go,but i doubt you would be able to add a mid.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Eminence and RCF both make horns meant for center mounting in between 4X arrays. Here's the Eminence one.

12. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2

13. morgansterne

morgansterne

I'm not a tweeter fan myself, but I have a 15" cab that looks identical to a Bassic 15 and I'm pondering getting a 6" eminence speaker in its own cab to cover more mids and highs.

so if you're just adding a tweeter, you can put a hipass crossover in front of it and leave the woofers alone . . . but if you add a midrange speaker in a separate box, hadn't you better add a full crossover so you can lowpass the woofers?

14. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    As a general rule, yes.

15. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I have two old Peavey 4X10's and added the standard Fostex/Foster horn between the speakers. Since I was running a GK1001RB, I wired in speakons that allowed using the biamp feature of the GK. Since the GK died, I have added 12dB/oct 3KHz crossovers with light bulb protection that I built. An attenuator is a good idea, but I often use a switch to select full on/off/6dB attenuation.

Since I got my PF-500, I have moved away from tweeters to midranges. But I haven't fit one into the 4X10's. I rarely use them anyway anymore.

I've used 6 1/2" sealed Pyle midranges with some two way 12" Peavey cabinets I have. I first used just an 800Hz highpass on the mids, and left the 12's (MCM 350 watt) alone, as they are quite muted in the high mids and highs. But I had to add an 800Hz lowpass on the 12's (and seal the cabinets. Those speakers would make good subs...LOTS of low end with the ports...too much, but nice sealed for bass.)

16. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I looked at pics of your cabinet. A standard Foster/fostex horn would fit there nicely.

17. NachoGomez

NachoGomez

Hello everyone!

I'm also planning to add a tweeter to my Headliner 410, and as far as I understood it is only matter of adding an 8ohm tweeter and a crossover in parallel with the rest of the speakers.

Since this is an 8ohm cab and if I add an 8ohm tweeter, the impedance will drop to 4ohm.

Now my question is, if I'm using a Peavey Tour 450 head, which is rated at 450W RMS @ 4ohm, and being the Headliner 410 a 400W RMS cab, would them be in danger (the speakers) of damage if used at high volumes? (the Tour 450 amp @ 8ohm renders 300W RMS, so there's a safe margin for the cab to handle spikes)

On another hand, if I modify my Headliner 410 and then I want to add another speaker enclosure, lets say a Headliner 115, the impedance of the modified HL410 + HL115 will be 2,67ohm and I'm pretty sure it will blow away the above mentioned amp.

Do you have any comment/recommendation regarding these issues? Or, is there any way of playing with the impedance in order to add a tweeter without altering the final impedance of the enclosure?

Thank you very much in advance for your comments and advises!

Regards!

Nacho

18. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    If you use a crossover between the tweeter and woofers, your nominal impedence will still be 8 ohms.

19. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

I have made tweeter boxes that sit on top of the amp head. I can make them and have lots of parts. If you feel inclined, PM me and we can discuss.

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    No, this will not happen. Your cab will still be an 8ohm cab.

21. NachoGomez

NachoGomez

Wow! Thank you very much for your responses! That was very fast!!! No wonder this is the best bass community ever!!!

@wcriley: Is this true for any kind of crossover (active/passive/any_other_kind_I'm_unaware_of)? I'm pretty new in this matter so forgive me for asking so many question

@Doug Parent: Thanks Doug for the offer but I'm more excited in doing this by myself as a personal project than for the results I'm going to have :p ... If you have any recommendation on brand/type/wattage for the tweeter/horn please share

@DWBass: Thanks!

@minstrelka: Did you modify your cab at all? If so, what components you end up using? Was the tone enhanced after the modifications? Or at least was it what you was expecting?

Again, thank you everyone for your inputs!!!

Regards!!!

Nacho