Adding a tweeter

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Monster Truck, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

I'm learning how to slap, so I guess I should have a cab with a tweeter. After looking around a bit I think my best option is to just add one to my existing cab.

So buy a tweeter and a crossover, cut a hole in the baffle, a few screws and I'm done. Right? Sounds too easy. Am I missing something?
  2. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

That's it. most cabs with tweeters have a pot to adjust the level.

From Avatar's Website:

The Foster high frequency compression horn tweeter is the most popular tweeter used by some of the best companies in the business. The cab uses the new full 12 db mylar crossover network for both the tweeter and bass speaker sections for a more accurate response and for better power handling. The tweeter volume control allows you to turn the tweeter up for larger rooms or to turn the tweeter down for smaller rooms.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/B210 NEO.htm
  3. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Look for a good crossover, at least 18dB/octave or higher.
    There will most likely be a hole in the response near 2,500 Hz due to woofer roll-off.

Most of the cheap tweeters aren't much at 2,500 Hz.
    If you do the research, there are more expen$ive units that are stronger at 2,500 Hz.

You might consider an Alpha 6a in a separate box.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Who says you need a tweeter to slap? I've slapped for decades with a tweeterless cab. Nobody ever once complained I didn't have enough high end.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

Well aright Jimmy. I'll take your word.

Maybe this may be a good time to get started on that fearful project. I've been thinking about. Hmmmmmm
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    :D I will add that some do like the tweeter for slap. I'm just not one of them.
  8. Arjank

Arjank

If you just want to add some "sizzle" to your sound it's easy to add a tweeter.

What cabinet do you own?
  9. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    All tweeters are not created equal though Jimmy.
    I think some of the tweeters in modern bass cabs, leave a big hole in the
    frequency response and so in common with my other attempts to inflate the punctured and fast deflating art form that is Rock and Roll,:bassist:
    will heartily recommend the following tweeter for the OP:
    [​IMG]
    Advantages! it's going to provide the kind of dispersion that modern lightweight bass cabinets can't possibly compete with and depending
    on the compression driver used, can provide a very flat frequency response crossed in at 12dB per octave at 500 Hz and gently rolling off at 17.5 KHz.
    I thank you! Now that's a proper tweeter chaps.:D
  10. Arjank

Arjank

Thats one heck of a tweeter Bassmec :bassist:
    Look a bit like those in your studio :D
    Have you ever tried one of those coaxial compressiondrivers from BMS? Those are really, really good.
  11. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Sorry no I havent tried BMS the compression drivers I have found to be utterly fantastic are
    either the Vitaxox S6:hyper: or for a bit more air you can use the venerable old Coral M105 Driver but use a JBL titanium diaphragm in place of the aluminium Altec symbiotic clone diaphragm like what Mayer used. I am still trying to own a pair of their super tweeters:
    [​IMG]
    oo err missus! one day! They will be mine all mine hahahahahaha!:D