1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Adding handles

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Fletz, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Hello, TBers!

I just got a Genz Countour 500CTR 115T. It is maybe the best combo I've ever played (outside the near $1K mesas and markbasses). Anyway, I love it.

What I don't love is the single handle on the top thing. Any advice on how to best install side handles on this bad boy? Where can I get them? How easy/safe is it to install them? I'd put one on each side (Or maybe one on one side, I dunno).

[​IMG]
    upload by peterdannenfelser, on Flickr
  2. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Contact Leland at speakerhardware.com

He is a big Eminence distributor, and also carries all the nuts/bolts/hardware you need.
    He's a standup guy, with excellent pricing and service.
  3. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

http://www.reliablehardware.com/springloadedsurfacemount.aspx

I've bought from Reliable for years for hardware purchases. Here's their surface mount spring-loaded handle selection. I've been using a handful of these on some monitors I have. I also use a couple bottom mounted ones as 'cab tilts' on a couple wedges.
  5. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

A question I have is, I guess, is it really reliable to put a 3-6 screw handle into the side of a 52 lb amp?
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

One on each side, and secured properly wouldn't be a problem. If you're not comfortable with an aggressive wood screw, you could use machine screws with nuts on the back, or...I'd use these:

http://www.reliablehardware.com/10-32t-nutandbolt-rh-5210bo.aspx
  7. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

I don't want to take the cabinet apart ... is that a problem?
  8. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

I wouldn't see any problem with that. Use good-size screws (at least #10 or 12) and you should be fine. You'll want to make sure that the screws go all the way into and through the case materials (don't overdo it, 1/4///" or so longer should be fine). One way of looking at it is that even if you use 3-screws per handle, thats 6 screws for 52 lbs, or 9 lbs per screw. Not much at all for large screws.
  9. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

1/4" screws? (had trouble reading your message) Would 1/2" be too much?
  10. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

The site is recomending #8s
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Yeah, I wouldn't be worried about some decent wood screws, if the cab is 1/2" ply, I'd be going for something around 1/2". Also if you're doing TWO handles you have 52/2=26lb...26lbs/5 screws=5ish pounds per screw.
  12. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Thanks, Burningskies! Placing an order now!
  13. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Sorry to be so cryptic - I meant 1/4-1/2" beyond the thickness of the cabinet. In other words if it's 1/2" plywood, I'd use a 3/4-1" screw.
  14. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

15. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Measure twice!

Don't put anything near where the amp mounts.

I would recommend T-nuts and machine screws.