Adding more fat to a fat boost switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

Pedal been here. Looking to add a little more fat to my fat boost switch on my wooly mammoth clone. I'm not sure what to replace with a higher or lower value.
  2. Crater

Crater

Why don't you ask the dude you bought it from? The real Wooly Mammoth doesn't have a fat switch.

If I had to guess, I'd bet the 'fat switch' adds a bigger input capacitor, the stock value appears to be 0.22 µf. A 'fatter' signal needs a bigger cap: common values are 0.47µF, 1µF, 2.2µF, ect...

The other coupling caps in the circuit, the bias bypass cap and the bass output cap are both 100 µF, that's already a HUGE cap for a pedal, so I doubt there's much to be gained by making those bigger.

If you can post a clear, in-focus picture of the pedal's "guts" it might help. Use your digital camera's macro mode if it has one.
  3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    What are you doing, changing the value of the input coupling cap?

Larger values pass more low end.
  4. Tony Flow MMMM

I am contacting the builder. While I have limited understanding I know it can't be that complicated! Thanks for explaining it to me.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tony Flow MMMM

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    OK, so it's switching between two caps. Fine the one that is the fat position (the opposite of the way the switch is thrown) and try a larger value.
  8. Tony Flow MMMM

Seems one is .1 uf and the other is .22
  9. Tony Flow MMMM

So my multimeter battery is dead. How every by your description it seems it switches to the lower cap on fat boost .1uf. Labeled 1j63 it is the larger white one..
  10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    .22µF is larger than .1µF. Try a .33µF.
  11. Tony Flow MMMM

That's what I'm saying. Does something seem off? The fat boost cap is .1? I'm gonna pickup some .33 ect
  12. Tony Flow MMMM

Well this was builders reply.

Now keep in mind that its just a fat switch not a boost circuit. All it does is keep you bit more low end in passive mode. The value that is there is 1uf capacitor. You can try going larger and see how it works. But it was only meant for passive bass, I think once in active bass mode might not be as noticeable
    Thanks
  13. Tony Flow MMMM

Soo... Any help? Will an increases cap raise the boost?
  14. Mykk

Mykk

Doesn't sound like it'll boost anything, however a higher value cap will allow more lows to pass through the signal.
  15. Tony Flow MMMM

Sorry that's what I mean... Guess I need to watch my wording. And experiment a little.
  16. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    No, I think the boost cap is .22 since that is larger, so it lets more low frequencies through. Don't forget that most switches switch backwards. When you switch the switch up, the contacts switch down.

You are going to get to a point where you wont get any more low end. One of the things about fuzz is it adds high frequency harmonics, and that makes the bass sound brighter and reduces the apparent low end.
  17. Tony Flow MMMM

He said it him self it's 1uf. However when I looked it up it was .1uf..

So now I'm not sure which to believe.