Adding pickups to an SG bass.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EScotty2112, Jan 21, 2013.

1. EScotty2112

EScotty2112

Hello, I have a single pickup bass, the Epiphone EB-0, and I would like to add a Jazz Bass pickup to the bridge position. I hate using routers, so I've decided to drill out most of it with a Forstner bit, then use a chisel and a file to finish it up. My questions include:

How deep should the cavity be, and how much room should there be around the sides of the pickup?

How should I wire it so I can have a three position selector, with neck, mixed, and bridge settings, and what sort of switch should I use for that? Also, how should I ground all of it?

I'm certain that I want to use my method for routing the pickup cavity, so please do not post about that not being the right way to do it.
  2. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

I have a trim ring i bought on ebay for $5.00 that would cover any mess you make while digging out the p.u. cavity.Depending on how far from the bridge and if you use a neck or bridge p.u. you may need to trim the pickguard just a little if you use the p.u. ring.You could use stacked pots if you want a seperate vol. and tone for each p.u. or stacked vol. and 1 master tone 'cause there is'nt alot of extra room in the ebo control room if you want to use the output on the top of the body.I'm thinking you will want to be able to blend the p.u.'s like a jazz bass,alot of bridge and some neck.Think it over get a plan together and i'm sure someone can help you here.
  3. EScotty2112

EScotty2112

Actually, I want it to be more like a telecaster, master tone and volume and a 3 way switch. Thanks for the advice!
  4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Wow that's a lot of work just because you don't like routers. With a router and a template you would have had that done in about 10 minutes.

Look how tall the pickup is, and then how high you need it to stick up above the body. 1/2" is probably deep enough. You want to leave some room under the pickup for some rubber to push the pickup up, if you want it to be adjustable.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. EScotty2112

EScotty2112

I also don't have a router. Thank you for information on the depth, though.
  7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Well that's a good enough reason! I routed many a guitar with a drill and chisel back when I first started. Now I have four routers and a Dremel. :)