Adding some warmth and drive to my tone, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by baytas, Dec 21, 2013.

1. baytas

baytas

My current setup:

- Warwick Streamer $$ 5 & Thumb BO 5
    - TC Electronic Staccato'51
    - Mesa Boogie Standard Powerhouse 2x10

Things I don't like about the tone I'm getting from this setup:

- The very low end is too prominent and I can't seem to be able to dial it out without sacrificing my overall tone. A sound engineer friend says I sound "too sub."

- The very high end sounds a bit "digital," which I can dial out at the expense of percussiveness.

- The TubeTone overdrive on the amp doesn't really work for me. I feel like it distorts the highs nicely but doesn't affect the low end much. Also, being used to playing the guitar, I expect overdrive to introduce a little compression to my dynamics, which is not happening. Turning up the preamp gain is not an option (it's one of those amps).

Overall, I get a tone that would be great for funk, but I'd like to go for a warm, slightly overdriven rock sound - think early Incubus.

My options:

a) Replace the head with an Eden WT550
    b) Keep the head, add a VT Bass pedal in front
    c) Keep the head, add an Eden WTDI pedal in front
    d) Replace the head with an Eden WT550, add VT Bass

Any opinions, experiences, recommendations etc. are welcome - also with other gear that is not on the list above.

One specific question: Can I push the preamp on the Eden head? If not, I would have to go for the Eden + VT Bass - in this case, since I understand the VT Bass does considerable tone shaping, would there be any substantial difference between TC+VT and Eden+VT?

2. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    D and a get another two by ten to stack vertical.:hyper::bassist:

3. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    I'd lose that amp first thing :(

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I would keep the head add a VT

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

The Eden plus VT is the best of both worlds in my opinion. I did it for years with my WT400.

7. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog Supporting Member

Out of those four choices, I would start with a VT before a complete rebuild of my rig. Unless like me, you're looking for an excuse for a complete new rig. :D

8. anderbass

anderbass

Another option would be to patch a VT into your TC 51's power amp-in jack.

9. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

I've been using a Eden Navigator Pre into my GK800RB!
    Sounds really good with my Berg NV610.

It has warmth and growl to it!
    Once I set the EQ and master volume for the room, the Navigators tube emulator knob and the 800RB's Boost knob is where I find my tone!

10. middy

middy

This

11. Fender05

Fender05

Tech21 SansAmp. End of story.

12. javadog

javadog Supporting Member

I was going to mention that there is an Eden WDTI in the classifieds for only $95---until I saw that your location was
    Istanbul, so shipping would be too much. It would be a cheap
    thing to try but you might end up getting that VT thingy anyway.

13. shwashwa

shwashwa

fdeck hpf to get the rumble out without losing fullness

14. middy

middy

The VT Bass speaker sim should roll off the bass nicely. Probably no need for a hpf.

15. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

16. shwashwa

shwashwa

true, but i personally hate the overall tone when that thing is engaged. thats just me of course

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No matter what you put in front of it, the amp is still going to sound like the amp to a very large degree. Tone shapers can only work with what they're given.

18. baytas

baytas

Thank you all for the input.

The VT Bass seems to be a favorite here on TalkBass, and I think I've found one in for a good price. Probably I'll get that anyway, and if the TC+VT doesn't cut it, I'll replace the amp.

Unless I overlooked, I think one part of my specific question remains unanswered: Can I push the preamp on the Eden WT550 into a slight overdrive? I can't do this on the pure solid state Staccato'51, and I believe with an all-tube amp it could of course be done; but what about the hybrid WT550?

19. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Tbh it sounds like a very tall story to be sub range heavy with a 2x10.

The fdeck Hpf will sort that out if that's the case.

20. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

For practical use the 550 cannot be driven into a nice tuby distortion. It's meant for clean only. It can be driven to distortion however you likely won't like it. Its very harsh.

21. newbold

newbold

I remember plugging a VTBass into the front end of a Stacatto and it was a favourite experience of mine. I could dial in the comp to my liking and easily clean out the low end with the Parametric EQ in the amp and then switch in some intensely Ampeg tone through that super clean fat monster.

I didn't notice a 'too subby' sound when I was playing but we may have had different aims. I was playing a '62 reissue jazz bass at the time so I was able to get some fantastic old school tone with *just enough* modern.

I have a WTDI and I love the way I can cut a bunch of low end but engage the 'bass boost' switch. This lets me push the low end on the Fletcher-Munson Loudness curve so the natural tone comes through on the low end with the extra mud scooped out without it being 'scooped'. Mix that with the 'enhance' knob and there's a load of tone shaping...but that's the sort of thing that can mostly be done on the Staccato. If the TC had the 'bass boost' feature of the WTDI it'd be just fantastic.

I think that rounding out a clean monster like a VT>staccato would offer would be my approach.

But everybody's into something a bit different.

I push volume and scoop lows to get my mids out front and play a bass with flats.

My current approach is a pedalboard with drive and a WTDI in front of an old Yamaha BBT500 amp.

Another great approach would be to replace the head with a Mesa Walkabout. I really like the VTBass/Staccato setup but you'd have no problem getting where you want with just a Walkabout and no pedals whatsoever. What a fantastic piece of gear that WA is.