1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Adding to an MM copy: Ric or Tele?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 1bassleft, Feb 6, 2013.

1. 1bassleft

1bassleft

I tend to play 5-string (lefty), but I got a 4-string Vintage 'ray copy that I'm pretty happy with. The 3-band eq and Wilkinson pup are decent (if I did replace the pup, I'd go for the Warman 14.6k/9.7 henry as the 5-string worked out very well in another bass).

So, I could just leave it stock, but that's not me and I'd like to add some more tones. My (righty) son's Squier VM with the Telebucker has a great sound (more than one since I did Darkstrike's series/single/para mod). So I could install one of those pups near the neck for a real "chalk and cheese" bass.

OTOH, my parts bag has a hobnail Ric neck pup in there and that also appeals. A soundclip I heard with pick + fingers had a lot of my kind of tone. Trouble is, the pup only has its plate and no mounting ring/points so I'd have to do something about that.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on what you'd do: Rick 'n' Ray or Slap 'n' Thump? (actually, I have a terrible slap technique but never mind that...)

All contributions welcome, you don't actually have to have done anything like this to chime in.
  2. 1bassleft

1bassleft

I got leaning towards a Ric 'n' Ray but took the hobnail out of the bag and to my DMM. Put the two probes together to check and there's a few ohms as expected but placing one on each of the pups output wires and I just get a big fat "1" on any range setting.

Am I right in assuming there's a break somewhere in the wind? I was going to have to send it to, probably, Heavy Air to get it into some sort of mounting anyway but a rewind is a disappointment.

This is one of my few parts that's used/unknown quantity. Am I doing something goofy or is it a dud at the moment, as I suspect?
  3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Is the meter set to auto range?

Also. Try not to touch the probes with your fingers.
  4. 1bassleft

1bassleft

I held the probes by the plastic handles, the pup wires were resting on the paper cover of the Jiffy bag and I placed one probe on each of the wire ends - a bit old looking (and very short) but the tinning still looked decent. I tried it first at the to 20k ohm range and, puzzled by the "1", put the two probes together and got a low reading. Switched to the 200 ohm and tried the pup again, still getting the "1". Thinking about it, I should've tried higher range, but I packed it away.

Here at home, I've got a DMM of the variety bought from an electrical store. I can dig it out of my gig bag and investigate further.

Thanks for responding.
  5. iunno

iunno

My Stingray sounds great, I added one of David's neo sidewinders in the Rickenbacker neck position. If you add a switch for the MM pickup, you can also use the neck coil with it, which is very close to the Ric bridge position.
  6. 1bassleft

1bassleft

Thanks for the reply. I warmed to the idea of the Ric 'n' Ray (and switching the Ray) but the Ric pup does appear to be dead so I'm on pause for now while I look at the options.