1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Adding tweeter on/off switch, needs ampere/current rating

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Antoje, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Antoje

Antoje

Hi all! I have a technical question here.

I am adding a tweeter on/off switch on my Trace Elliot GP7SM 250 (80's 250W solidstate combo).

Anyone knows the max current passing there normally? I need to know so I select a switch that is sturdy enough.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

How much high frequency response do you need? How will you control the level? I would use a fixed L-Pad, rather than an on/off switch. The amp sees a more stable load and the switch won't need to handle a lot of current because the L-pad will be in series, "absorbing" current. 5A would be fine unless you're pushing an extreme amount of power.

P=IE, which means your power needs to be specified. Once that's known the current (I) can be determined. The power is calculated using the impedance and voltage (E).

Here's a useful chart for these calculations-
    http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attach...late-how-much-kva-49kw-ohms-law-pie-chart.jpg
  3. Antoje

Antoje

Thanks for your quick reply, I have a spare 10 A switch i can use.

I did not know the existence of L-pads, but I can interpret wiring schematics and calculate electrical loads: thanks for your time to show me this!

The tweeter is already on the amp, I just want to deactivate it when I use it as a keyboard amplifier or a guitar amplifier. (This is the only amp I have at home for practice, all others are where my band rehearse.) I fear high frequencies caused by highly distorted sounds can degrade the tweeter if used for a long time.

As we are speaking, I just unsoldered the crossover from the circuit and the amp has been doing great since. I just want to have the tweeter back on when I practice bass, since I feel it sounds better.
  4. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

I believe the formula is 250 watts divided by 120 volts (or 240, depending on where you live). You should be fine with anything over 2.084 amps. I may be wrong...
  5. Antoje

Antoje

It seems there is already a L-pad on the crossover, so I would just have to move the SPST switch between the crossover and the Tweeter positive lug to effectively have a switch with no total impedance variation.

Attached Files:

6. Antoje

Antoje

No, the voltage inside the amp is not 120 V or 240 V. This would mean all european cabs would be more powerful (Impedance x Voltage = Power, and speakers are the same)

Circuits are working at different voltages with the help of transformers.