Adding Vocals through the bass rig - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by stanhamrick, Nov 26, 2013.

1. stanhamrick

stanhamrick

So I am starting to sing a few standards in my previously all instrumental trio and quartet. Mostly wine bars, small restaurants etc.

Ideally I would like my bass hand vocals through one and the same system. Any thoughts / suggestions on best amp / speakers for this purpose appreciated.

Thanks!
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

Stan,
    Well, there are quite a few powered P.A. speakers that would work well for this application. Mackie, QSC, and Yamaha, all make models that have two inputs, so you could run the bass and vocals through them at the same time. The new Mackie also has EQ and Effects so it might be the best choice for what your are trying to accomplish.
    Acoustic Image amps also have mic inputs, and effects.

Ric
  3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

If you're just doing this for announcements this is how I do it:
    * Bass cab is mounted up on a tripod so that it's at ear level (easier to hear myself when playing bass)
    * For a preamp, I use a Headway EDB-2 - which has an XLR input for Channel 2. Bass goes in channel one.
    * Mic into the XLR in.
    * When I go to talk, I just switch it on in the EDB-2, then off when I'm done.

Simple.

The EDB-2 has a second advantage that you can play an ipod through it and run your own interstitial music if you want. Not high quality stereo but it gets the job done.
  4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the tripod stand, especially if you intend to sing through the same amplifier you're playing through. Singing and playing bass is a pretty tall order, I used to do it years ago when I played in cover bands. The bass part and the melody line tend to be contrapuntal to one another. Esperanza Spaulding, Jay Leonhardt, and Kristen Korb are geniuses. Good luck
  5. stanhamrick

stanhamrick

Thanks for the advice!

I already have on order the Crazy 88 speaker cab and am hoping that will work for the purpose of vocals and bass through the same speaker. But I will need a two-channel amp. It looks like the AI Clarus and the EA iAmp Doubler would suit. Any ideas or suggestions re these two options to power my Crazy 88 for bass plus vocals?
  6. bcamp

bcamp

I have a Clarus and use a mike a lot. I run the bass in Ch1 and the mike in Ch2. Set your levels during setup and use the Clarus's Ch2 mute switch to kill the mike when it's not needed. Super simple.