Adhoc playing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by pecBass, Mar 17, 2014.

1. pecBass

pecBass

Hi all,

I am a novice that just plays basic bass for a praise band. I know the fret board well and generally play simple 1/4's, 1/8's and simple rhythm patterns.

Occasionally I add the 1/5's below or 1 octave up to my patterns but am pretty much just playing the root (or an inversion) throughout the song.

I have been asked to expand a bit, which I want to do.

I have tried adding the third (major or minor) or an arpeggio but often it doesn't seem to fit.

Looking for suggestions on how to add a bit more than simple roots...

Please be gentle :)

Thanks!
  2. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

3. fearceol

fearceol

4. pecBass

pecBass

Thanks, perhaps I am overthinking - i often do this :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Why do you say that? It's a perfectly reasonable question and a good thing to be thinking about.
  7. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Think about passing tones, how to get from one chord to another. You don't have to play chord tomes all the time, just make sure they are in the same key.
  8. pecBass

pecBass

Great lesson here (thanks, Fearceol) might add a bit more color...
  9. mambo4

mambo4

If you have roots, 5ths, thirds and octave covered then maybe it's time to focus less on what notes you pluck and more on the other 9 elements of groove
  10. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Who is asking for more, the guitarist or director? If the director is asking for more, well that is another story and you have to please the director. Our guitarist wants me to hit the next chord's root on the correct lyric syllable more than he wants me to fill out my bass line. Hitting the change dead on seems to satisfy him. Kinda need to have the person wanting more define what more is.

You have the chord tone thing under control -- you understand the choices open to you. I find that with Praise music a full four note chord tone bass line does not fit in all cases, actually in very few of the cases. So roots to the beat or root five and or root 8 normally is enough.

That leaves runs. Couple of runs per song may satisfy the need for more and still leaves you playing much as you like. Diatonic runs to the next chord works great for Gospel and Country. It's easy to pull off -- see if that will satisfy the need for more. Diatonic/chromatic run - On C pounding out roots and want to go to F. Several ways of getting there, I leave three beats early and sound the C#, D move up a string for the E and land on F for the chord change. On F going to G, back up one fret for the E, F, F# and land on G. We play from fake chord sheet music so I mark the run on my fake chord. I see no need for a run everytime the chords change. Perhaps between verses or at the end of the chorus, IMO less is more.

If you have not already, you need to have this conversation with the director.

Good luck.