Adjust the action of only one string?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bofink, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Bofink

Bofink

Can I change the action of only one string? is it safe or does it unbalance the bass in any way? :)

The reason is that my A-string is buzzing but the others are fine.
  2. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

It won't hurt anything to raise the bridge saddle for that string, a little bit. Fixed?

A good idea, before you do that, is to hit a hardware store and buy a machinist's 6" ruler. It should have a side that will measure to 64ths of an inch. (It's an inexpensive, but very handy, tool to have.)

Before you mess with the bridge saddle, measure the string height at the highest fret on _all_ the strings. Is the A string lower than the others? That's what's making it buzz when the others don't. Raise it to match the others.
  3. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

Yes you can.
  4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

A quarter turn of the action screw will often fix a buzzing string.To answer your question, no it wont hurt anything at all.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bofink

Bofink

Alright, thanks! :)
  7. Joedog

Joedog

Sure....that is exactly why each string is individually adjustable!!!!! If it is too low, raise the saddle (under the string, at the bridge). until buzz goes away. Adjusting the truss rod may help, but will raise ALL the strings. If your nut slot is cut too low, you may need a new nut. I 've had THAT problem before, and my "Mickey Mouse" solution was to slip a little piece of plastic wire sheathing under the string at the nut. Some will scoff, but it did the trick. The plastic can slide when tightening the string, but if it solves the problem, a tiny dab of glue will hold it in place. Of course the best option is to pay a good tech to do a proper setup. There is probably a sticky here on how to set up your bass? Try the search function.
  8. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Check the nut slot too
  9. Bofink

Bofink

I play a Dean Demonator 4, which has a brass nut :p

Raising the action helped so it doesn't atleast sound too bad through the amp! :)

Still adjusting as I go along ;)