1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Adjustable Bridge buzzing

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by DB Slidefunk, Feb 12, 2014.

1. DB Slidefunk

DB Slidefunk

Hi,
    I have a pretty standard looking adjustable bridge on my solid bass. When I dig hard into the G string there is a little buzz/rattle coming from what sounds like the bridge. It's not always there and sometimes just a tiny move of the bridge stops it.

It feels like the metal parts are rattling somehow near the foot on the G string side. I'm wondering if I can fix this by putting some kind of tape around the metal part that goes into the metal sleeve above? Or will that dampen the sound as vibrations can't pass as freely?
  2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Since none of the more experienced people here have replied, I will take a first shot. Keep in mind that though I play UB, my repair experience is with EB and guitar.

Unless the adjusters were a really sloppy installation I don't see how they would be buzzing. You can check the fit if you take the tension of the strings (make sure your sound post doesn't fall) If they are loose, something like plumbers teflon tape could tighten them up and stop the buzzing. If the fit is that bad, I kind of doubt it would hurt the sound but you really need a new bridge and proper adjusters.

More likely your problem has a different source. Finding buzzes on a bass can be frustrating. I would check that the bridge is not leaning. If the adjusters are a bit loose and the bridge is leaning they may not sit right in the hole allowing them to buzz. Other possibilities such as a loose seam, hair line crack, misaligned tailpiece are covered in the numerous threads on buzzes. Good luck.
  3. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

Check that the windings of the G string over the bridge are not separating. Even a tiny gap could cause a buzz.
  4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Are the adjusters made from two pieces? (Wheel and shaft) If so, maybe the wheel is loose from the shaft.