1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Adjusting a truss rod immediately after receiving a bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by agent77, Jan 1, 2014.

1. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

I've bought more than a few basses online. I always wait 3-4 days before I adjust the truss rod, thinking that the wood should "settle" to the climate of my apartment before I tweak anything. Is this a good idea, or am I being too cautious?
  2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Too cautious.

Once the temp has stabilized it is time to adjust. If the guitar was shipped from an environment vastly different from the one in which it now resides, it will continue to change over time. When it changes it should be adjusted.
  3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I agree with 202dy. This time of year, you may need to let it come up to room temperature, but then you're good to go.
  4. Lo-E

Lo-E

Yup. What they said.
  5. micguy

micguy

It's more about humidity than temperature. Hence a few days acclimation may not be a bad idea.
  6. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I agree with you I even go so far as to not unbox for at least 24 hours during the winter.
  7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I set mine up before I even plug them in.
  8. pfox14

pfox14

There's no need to touch the truss rod unless the neck isn't straight or does not have sufficient relief. Just because you just got the bass, that doesn't automatically mean you have to adjust the TR.
  9. Hopkins

Of course, but how many times have you received a bass, especially one that came across the country in a Fedex truck, that was set up perfectly to your liking?
  10. Lownote38

Lownote38

Never. That's why I always adjust them right out of the box. It can't hurt. If you don't go more than a 1/4 turn at a time, you can always undo the change if it isn't right after a few days.
  11. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

If the neck requires two full revolutions it can be done in one adjustment and still be reversed. It can be reversed in a few days or immediately. The neck will dictate the work to be done.

Quarter turn is an old wives tale.

Respectfully submitted.
  12. JustForSport

JustForSport

In Florida, right out of the box (after 1 day temp humidity acclimation)- in Ohio, I'd wait a couple of days in the winter, after one day in the box, 1-2 days out of the box.
  13. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

1/16 turn only. Wait three weeks to settle.

If you are getting nowhere using this method....

Read 202dy's post!
  14. Hopkins

The whole 1/4 turn at a time thing is a myth. You turn the truss rod until the neck is adjusted. I have set up a guys bass when the rod needed over 3 turns. If I did the 1/4 turn a day thing it would have taken 12 days to set up his bass.
  15. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

And the guy would tell all his friends that you kept his guitar forever, and that they should avoid your shop like a bad smell. In this case, he would be right.
  16. Hopkins

Absolutely
  17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Just received a Big Al. Set up is mostly there. Raised the saddles a smidge on the D & G string.

Thinking about a TR Tweak 'cause there's a bit more fret buzz up the neck. But, I'll play it for a spell and see how many other things I notice, good or bad and deal with it as time goes on.
  18. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

+1 on all of the above...

- georgestrings
  19. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

do a truss rod tweak because you've pressed the string down at the first and last frets, looked in the middle around say the 8th fret, and seen that there's too much gap or that there's no gap.

no other reason, and no reason to wait.
  20. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

that's counterproductive, the cold air inside the box will just keep it cold longer; you should unbox it right away, and just leave it in its case for a few hours to get closer to room temperature.