1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Adjusting Dean EAB neck - need help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by olddude, Aug 13, 2010.

1. olddude

olddude

The string action on my newly acquired (used) EAB is high. Once I losen the strings to get at the truss rod, can anyone tell me which direction I need to turn the allen wrench to reduce the bow? Thanks

2. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Clockwise, as in "tighter".

3. olddude

olddude

I appreciate the quick reply.

4. fingertap

fingertap

My Dean EAB is a bit flat. I will soon need to add some relief.
    I plan to do this after I wear out the strings it came with.
    I assume this adjustment would be counter-clockwise? (As in looser?)

Rod adjustment is addressed at the base of the neck through the body.
    So, looking toward the nut from the bridge, past the adjustment location, counterclockwise?

OP, could you post the results of your action? Was it indeed as the second poster indicated in your case?

After I adjust mine, I plan to post here my results in order to make this the definitive Dean EAB truss-rod adjustment thread...

~

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. olddude

olddude

I losened the 2nd and 3rd strings a bit to get the allen wrench in. Gave it about three 1/4 turns and didn't see much of a difference, maybe a bit less bow. I chickened out from that point on and decided to take it to a luthier that's set-up my guitars previously. As Dirty Harry once said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

7. fingertap

fingertap

OP:

Would it be possible for you to discover and post here what the luthier had to do to adjust the neck?

I know there is sometimes a glue involved that must be softened by temperature when adjusting necks via truss-rods.

~

8. olddude

olddude

Sure, though it may be late this coming week or next. I'm waiting for new strings (E. B. Earthwood 2070's) to be delivered before taking it to my guy. I'm toying with the idea of adding a Fishman pick upsince the the on-board pup sucks big-time. I won't be doing a lot of "campfire picking" - even when I play at youth retreats, we have always played thru small amps. I'm used to the massive bass sound from my Rogue B-100 or Dean Razor basses. Yeah, I know they're not designed to do the same thing.

9. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sounds like the tightening the truss rod is working. Continue tightening until the relief is correct.

If the nut squeaks, stop turning. Otherwise all is well.

10. fingertap

fingertap

I would like to hear any information you could provide.

I also have EB Earthwood 2070's to install after I run the factory-installed strings out and see how the neck settles down. I'd like to hear how the 2070's work out for you.

As far as the Fishman, before I replace the stock pickup, I am considering the F. Deck preamp to address this issue. I have a friend who has a Warwick Alien with some of the same issues (also fret noise, finger noise, output hard to control, etc.) I remember that these issues are characteristic of passive piezo pickups. The F. Deck preamp has an adjustable roll-off for the ~ 30 ~ 45 Hz component which I suspect is where the fret and finger noise part lives. Seems to me to be a quality designed preamp and I could hardly build one into a nice box for the price he asks. I bet it would solve the low-volume issue you mentioned and I have observed. I think that everything is there frequency-wise, just distributed in a manner that the input impedance of most 'standard' amps does not do well with.

~