Adjusting string spacing on a Hipshot Style A Bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by phangtonpower, Dec 19, 2013.

1. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

I just got a Hipshot Style A Bridge. I would contact hipshot, but I didn't really like the way they communicated through email.

Anyway, I know you loosen the screw to adjust the saddle side to side, but when I get it to where I want it and tighten, it goes back to the original position.

Anyone know of a way so it doesn't do that?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I do.

Riis

3. Zooberwerx

...j/k!

Two things happen which work against you:

*The barrel saddle develops a worn or memory spot so the set screw hones in on that particular flattened area.

*The set screw, itself, acts as an auger gear which drives the saddle to the treble side when tightened.

First off, loosen the string and set screw. If possible, rotate the barrel saddle 90-180 deg to relocate the existing flat spot. Approximate the desired lateral location and slide the saddle 1-3 mm (...or thereabouts) to the bass side before tightening the set screw. This will take a few trials but it does work.

Riis

4. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

You can call them, too. Easy to deal with, IMO. I bought an A-type for my SD Curlee- they answered all of my questions and offered other options I wouldn't have thought possible.

If I need to make long phone calls and need my cell phone to be available, I use Google Voice. It may be cheaper than other methods of making international phone calls.

7. Zooberwerx

That's the only method I know of that actually works but I'm open to options / alternatives. Let me know how it works out for you.

Riis

8. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

Tried it. The barrel does not want to rotate any ><

9. Zooberwerx

Hey, stuff happens. The tolerance is pretty tight so I'm not surprised. If you're really brave, you can remove the entire bridge saddle assembly and knock the barrel out with a piece of dowel...a little too extreme at the moment but feasible if all else fails. For the time being, I would be content with sliding the barrel waaaay towards the bass side then re-tightening the set screw. Sometimes replacing the string and tuning to pitch helps provided you grab the string as you're tightening the screw. The downward pressure provides extra resistance and minimizes "drift".

Riis