1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Adjusting Truss on a Geddy Lee Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jepus, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Jepus

Jepus Supporting Member

Hi all,

Had my GL for a few years ago, recently did a pup swap and after successfully installing them and restringing I've noticed I'm getting a lot more fret buzz, there's no relief in the neck at all so I need to make a truss adjustment.

The screw is at the bottom of the neck (near the neck pup) and I've tried adjusting it but it seems pretty stiff, or just awkward to get a good angle on it. Should I take out the pup to get better leverage or is there a possibility the truss is f*cked?

2. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

You need to take the neck off to get proper access to the nutt.

3. Jepus

Jepus Supporting Member

I've never taken the neck off a bass before :eek:

Should I leave the strings on, just detune them, pop the neck off, quick twist of the truss screw and then reattach and check relief?

4. landau roof

Yeah, that's fine. It doesn't even to have to come all the way off, just loosened enough to tilt back for access.

While you're playing with the neck screws, if you notice that they're threading into the body (i.e. not passing through the holes freely and only threading into the neck) take them out and push them through (one at a time if you don't wanna remove the neck) to free them up.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jepus

Jepus Supporting Member

Took the neck off. Screw won't budge at all. :(

7. landau roof

You're turning it left to loosen, right? Err, correct?

8. Jepus

Jepus Supporting Member

Yeah counter clockwise as I look at the heel of the neck.

9. landau roof

Does it not budge with sheer brute force, or does is look like your screwdriver is going to strip it before you go full Governator on it? What are you using to turn the nutt? A fat flat head works best, IME. And also try to bend the neck so as to relieve tension off the nutt while you [attempt to] turn it.

If it absolutely won't turn, I'm not sure what the next plan of action would be. Never been in that boat, but I'm sure someone here has.

10. Jepus

Jepus Supporting Member

I'm using a Cruz tools 4in1 screw driver. It doesn't seem like it's going to strip the screw I just can't seem to get it to budge.

11. RSBBass

RSBBass

Sounds like it is time to use a very little penetrating oil (like 3 in 1). When it comes loose, take it all the way off. Clean up the threads and put a little dry lubricant on the threads.

12. David Jayne

David Jayne

The nut is probably stuck to the poly finish that's applied to the neck. You'll probably just need to turn harder. You may want to remove the neck, so that you can lay it across your legs and push down on it to relieve truss rod tension as you turn the nut-this may help.

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Always loosen a truss rod before tightening it!

If it won't turn loose, take it to a pro. The truss rod could be frozen or worse. I also recommend a phillips not a blade as the screw should be a phillips head.

14. landau roof

It's an X shape, but the sides don't taper and come to a point like a Phillips head screw. A large flathead screwdriver resists stripping those nuts much better.