Adult owned?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 2behead, Mar 1, 2014.

1. 2behead

2behead

Any one else hate this term? I'm a adult. I gig my gear. I play the crap out if it. I let my ten year old son play it with a bit of supervision. I let my 6 year old little girl play my gear with supervision. When I see "adult owned" I get a bit pissed. I think under the bed or perhaps " in the corner where people can see guitar" I love my gear. I take care of it. But honestly, I play it, love to see my kids play it. From my perspective a adult only buys "Tools" that they need/ use. It's a bit silly I know but I just get resentfull when I see listings like this on craigs list.

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

You must be very old not to remeber anymore how the teens tend to take care of their posessions.
    Or others items in their (ab)use for that matter.

I sincerely hope the oncoming "two teens in the house" won't change that to a first hand experience ;).

Regards
    Sam

3. ITucker_034I

ITucker_034I

Im 18 and I really try to take care of my gear. Doesn't matter how much you try though, theres a good chance that if you actually use it it might take a knock. That said my main bass for nearly 2 years thats been at every gig I've played has a mark on the headstock and non orginal screws for the buttons so I dont think thats bad going :p

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You must be living a charmed life if this is the predominant aggravation in your gestalt.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

I take it to mean that it was taken care of—not abused. I would think the phrase more appropriate when selling something with an engine, but it doesn’t bother me in this instance.

As for actual age, it probably still wouldn't mean much to me if under 30-35.

7. hover

hover

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

8. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

I'm an adult and I had four dings in my newest bass within the first 15 minutes of picking it up.

Which beats the measly two dings I put in my first bass within 15 minutes of picking it up back when I was a teenager!

So there!

9. Absumone

Absumone

I think some people just like to play safe and buy something that is "adult owned" just because they are paranoid about kids ruining a guitar. It actually really just depends on the kid and on how the parents raised him/her. He/she won't go smashing his/her guitar if it really is one to play on, at least, that wasn't the case with my first bass which I still have.

10. pedroims

pedroims

I let all my kids (1, 2, 8 and 10 ) to play all my instruments: basses, guitars, keyboards. The "adult owned " stuff in this house are things that can hurt the kids: knives, power tools etc.

11. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I've never seen the term before.

12. Matt R.

Matt R. Supporting Member

13. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I like that term. It means that a mother probably didn't have to say "Billy, you left your bass on the patio last night..."

14. PWRL

PWRL

I've never seen the term, either. I wouldn't care who owned it before me, as long as I liked it when I looked at it and played it.

15. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

You have to look at it from the other side.
    This is just a way for the seller to gain your trust.
    Bottom line: look the instrument over the same way you would look over any other.
    As far as adults go, I would probably trust the steady, sure handed abilities of a youngster over an old man's.

16. lowdown3

lowdown3 Supporting Member

Man I here you bro I have 3 boys 17,15,7 and the 2 oldest play guitar and bass...My 7 year old is taking bass lessons and I let them play my instruments all the time...Adult owned is just a sales pitch almost....Like the car you are gonna buy that was only driven on Sundays to church by the little old ladies....

17. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I just sold a black Jazz bass I had for six years with nothing more than surface swirls.
    My other Jazz I have had for three years, not a mark on it.
    My Gibson is five years old and not a mark on it.
    They have been played at home and drug around to band practices, gigs and jams. I do not even use hard cases, just gig bags.

I guess that is because they are owned by a adult that doesn't drink and takes care of his toys...

18. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I used to see it a lot years ago, when scouring ads for cars that may be considered a bit 'high performance' ... it generally was accepted that it meant that its 'needs' have been attended to maintenance wise, and not just beaten ... often times there was a bit more $$ put into it with quality components as well ...

... with regards to basses, I like when the basses I buy are played a LOT, generally it means they are good ones ... basses that have been hanging on walls forever, or tucked away and pristine are generally not the best 'players' in most of the cases I have seen ... JMHO's though ;)

19. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce U tellin' me 2 beware? Cuz I'll tell u where 2 b Supporting Member

To paraphrase Dmitri Martin: The only difference between a toy and an adult toy- location, location, location. That being said, I was more anal :ninja: 20 years ago than I am now because I was more materialistic back then. I know better now. I still take good care of everything I own, but I'm not obsessive about it.

Rob
    :bassist:

20. donn

donn

It sure looks better in an ad than "Bass player owned!"

21. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 It may sound silly but I like the term my other favorite is "only used in the studio never gigged"