1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Adventures in neck swapping-MIJ/Modern Player jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I got bored and decided to see if the neck from my modern player jazz would fit on my MIJ body. It fit in well enough. There's a gap between the body and neck, but it seems fine. It's not pretty, but it seems stable and sounds and plays fine. I love the sound of the mij body. Classic jazz goodness. And I love the neck on the modern player, especially cuz it has frets. Unfortunately, the mij fretless neck doesn't fit in the modern player body. I'll have to decide what to do with those.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/nbd-@work-edition-fender-mij-fretless-1068039/?highlight=
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/nbd-fender-modern-player-satin-jazz-1066420/?highlight=
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    Interesting idea! Did you get around to de-glossing the back of the neck? If you havent, I would really recommend going with the green Scotch-Brite pad. I was downright skeptical at first, but literally 3 light wipes up and down the whole neck made a HUGE difference on my MPJ Satin 5'er. Surprisingly it doesn't really show either.

3. Gorn Captain

Is it that simple? I've been hesitant cuz I didn't wanna screw things up. The back of the neck is literally the only thing about this bass that I don't love.

4. gustobassman

Disclosures:
    Man, it is so easy it will trip you out. Use a FRESH pad though. Don't let the white stuff that flakes off scare you. I think its just the gloss getting sanded slightly down. You may need more wipes to achieve the smooth finish you are after, but 3 worked for me. No regrets!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ahc

ahc

I did this to my RW Jazz. Three easy swipes to the back of the neck and then perfection.

7. awilkie84

awilkie84

The MP neck will fit just fine. It's the same 20 fret profile. I tried it on my MIM P and MP Jazz Satin

8. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I wish more fenders had that musicman style truss rod adjustment, its so easy to tweak a set up with a truss rod wheel like that.

9. Gorn Captain

These?
    [​IMG]

10. gustobassman

Disclosures:
    Yup!

11. Gorn Captain

I recently picked up a cabronita. I love the chunky neck but I'm not crazy about the tone. The swap went smoothly. The loss of the truss wheel sucks and reverse wind tuners are annoying, but it feels great. Seems to have gained some punch too. I just have to scotch brite the back of the neck now, though the gloss isn't nearly as thick as on the MP neck.
    Here's frankenjazz 2.0. MIJ jazz body/Cabronita neck
    Before and after image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg