1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Advice about buying a small cheap practice amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by campbems, Feb 22, 2014.

1. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

I have a big rig that I use at church and traveling gigs but I'm wanting to purchase a 100 or less small practice amp. I know their are several you can get new for that price or less. What is good and what would you guys recommend? I see a Fender Rumble 15 for $65 at Guitar Center but what else? Thanks for the input and advice on this.
  2. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

3. campbems

I've actually looked at that one and a little intrigued by it. Just want small and cheap with decent tone for home practice.
  4. DogBone

DogBone

I'll second the Ampeg BA-108, it's hard to beat for such a small box that does the Ampeg thing so well, and the volume control for the CD inputs is genius and at their price it's a steal.

I also like the little Peavey Max combos if a more transparent sound is your thing, and they have some great features for the price point.
  5. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr Supporting Member

Get the Ampeg BA-108. It's exactly what you're looking for.
  6. pgolliher

pgolliher Supporting Member

I am sorry to sound negative, but all cheap practice amps sound pretty bad. I would save and wait or use a sans amp BDDI - those so a great job making cheap amps sound usable
  7. tobias3469

tobias3469 Supporting Member

8. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Supporting Member

I got a BA-108 when I was doing a lot of light jamming at different places. Its the best amp gc had (IMHO) in that price range. The thing performs and sounds good. Just don't crank it up, it falls apart when you push it.
  9. campbems

I just listened to that Ampeg ba108 amp ant that little thing is impressive.
  10. RockyMtnDew

RockyMtnDew

I'm chiming in as another vote for the BA-108. You already have your "big rig", now for practice the 108 is everything you need and nothing more. Fender is nice too, but the Ampeg gives you an aux input with its own volume control. Very-very nice feature.
  11. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

12. tobias3469

tobias3469 Supporting Member

I was not impressed with the Ampeg ba108 at all.. I've played several over the years and they just sound bland to me.. Nothing like Ampeg tone that we all love.

The Warwick BC20 is a brand new design. It sounds like a much larger amp and handles the low B better than my Workingman's 10.

yes.. i got one too :)
  13. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor! Supporting Member

I have a Rumble 15 that sounds just dandy for practicing in my townhouse.

The volume farts out when you pin the knob, but that volume level is not required for my application.

$65 is a steal!

I have played through the Ampeg, they both are great sounding little boxes.

Play your bass through both, you can't go wrong with either.
  14. pudgychef

pudgychef

+1 i think you cant miss with any of the suggestions here..i like the fender, ampeg and warwick little practice amps
  15. Linnin

Linnin

For just $99.99 shipped the new Fender Rumble 25 is going to be tough to beat.

If you can go $180 the new D-class Fender Rumble 40 (1 Eminence 10) is destined to become the low wattage bass amp King as it shares the very same front end as its 100; 200, and 500 brethren.
  16. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

i use an effects pedal and head phones for practicing with an aux in for cd/ipod/pc etc. my neighbors love me for it.
  17. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Supporting Member

Think my Ampeg BA108 is great, everything you need in a practice amp.
  18. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

I liked the Ampeg 108 and 110 very much, but fell in love with the Peavey MAX 158 II. It has very little coloration, was super light and had a flat, responsive sound.
  19. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Supporting Member

Not a combo, and well out of your stated price range, but I can't say enough about the GK MB 200. It's a versatile tool to have. I use it mostly as a headphone practice amp. But it's also a great practice amp and small rig connected to a cab. And it's an easy-to-add-on back-up amp or DI box. The versatility makes it worth the added price, as I prefer multi-tools rather than single-use gear. Just an alternate thought.
  20. shirojiro

shirojiro

I'm really happy with my old Fender BXR-25 and its later incarnation as the Bassman 25. Both have truly great tone, get louder than I need for practice, have headphone out, stereo aux in, effects loops, and 2 inputs each for jamming or daisy chaining.

Used, I paid $50 for the BXR-25 and I think about $100 for the Bassman 25. They're both great. I use them both all of the time for home practice, and they're so small that moving them to diffrerent rooms is no big deal.