Advice - Aguilar DB112 or GK Neo 112-II

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Spreck76, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Spreck76

Spreck76

Ok, want to get a good sounding 112 cab that I can easily take with me.

Looking at the Aguilar DB112 and the GK Neo 112-II. I have a Markbass 800 head and play Roscoe, Modulus and Elrick basses.

The sound I want is full/warm but with clear highs that are not harsh. I play for church and plan to gig for some instrumental (jazz and rock) with these cabs. For larger venues I would pair it with a EA VL-210 cabinet.

Thanks for any comments/advice.
  2. Spreck76

Spreck76

I know some folks have mentioned the Aguilar SL112 sound very scooped and the DB are warmer. How warm does the GK Neo 112-II sound in comparison to the Aguilar DB 112?

Opinions welcome.
  3. Black Sheep

Black Sheep Supporting Member

Would offer support, but asking the same question. Looking at 112 cabs also, these included.
  4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

The SL isn't scooped at all. The DB is just that mid heavy.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Spreck76

Spreck76

Just picked up a DB112 today. Wow, awesome cab. Tried a Genz Benz Focus 112 as well. For me the Aguilar was a lot warmer, more depth. Cost a bit more but worth it. Good pairing with the Markbass amp.
  7. Black Sheep

How's the low end? (I'm guessing this will be a different flavor than my Epi UL410, maybe warm up my ShuttleMax a bit.)
  8. Spreck76

Spreck76

it sounds great, handled the low B just fine. Was very impressed.
  9. Black Sheep

Going to give a DB112 a shot also! (Found slightly used for great deal; on it's way)
  10. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with the db series cabs...
  11. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

+1. The SL112's are the best 1x12's I've ever tried. No scoop here! I think the poster may be thinking of the GS112's. :)
  12. ChuckTrucks

ChuckTrucks

You bought my cab. Hope you enjoy it. I bought it in August from Musicians friend. I had it hooked up to a TH500 with another DB112 1x12. I turn the tweeters off and dont use any fuzz pedals. It was never abused in the slightest or moved out of the jam room except to ship.

Had a long day yesterday. Shipped it out yesterday morning and just posted your tracking number on ebay.

In my opinion the DB112 cab sounds amazing. Low end specced down to 42 hz and I believe it. When I was running two of them I had to dial out a bit of bass to avoid that BOOM.

Im waiting on a DB212 8 ohm cab to run with my Genz Benz Streamliner 900.
  13. Black Sheep

Chuck - I don't think it was yours, but thanks.

Spreck - I'll let you know how mine works out!
  14. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Subscribed. Curious about the GK Neo II 1x12 also.
  15. Black Sheep

Forgot to update.... Loving the DB112 cab! Using just the one with my Genz, and it's a good thing. (also just loaned this rig to an upright player for a big jazz gig that I did sound for - super sound, big, and natural.)
  16. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

NO experience of the 112, but the 212 neo II's are absolutely cracking cabs. Plenty of low end if you want it. Controllable, not harsh highs, through a very nice horn.
    Pretty nice frequency response IMO, with plenty going on in the midrange, but I wouldn't call it a mid hump at all.
    Lightweight too!
  17. Black Sheep

The Aggie DB is a heavy cab. Manageable, but fairly deep in size and a haul. If I had to lump it around a bunch, I might also look at that Neo, if I could.