1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Advice - Connecting two bass guitars

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by shemer, Oct 30, 2012.

1. shemer

shemer

Hi, I hope you can help me with this one,
    My band got one song that has parts for two bass guitars, Is it possible to hook 2 guitars to the amp, the parts are in different octaves so there is no worries about collision of frequencies, I would like to avoid arranging a second bass amp for only one song,
    So, what do you think? and how would you sugest doing that.
    thanks.
  2. flecktones1981

flecktones1981

If you have time to set down one bass and pick up another, id just keep the plug for the second bass right next to the input of your amp, and when you change basses unplug your first bass and plug the 2nd one in. If your amp has a mute button that would really help, should only take an extra 10 seconds to do this.

Another option is to get an A/B pedal. It has two inputs and one output. Plug both basses into the A/B pedal, and the output into your amp. When you push the pedal it'll toggle between A and B inputs ie. change from 1 bass to the other.

I actually have a cheap AB pedal id sell for $25 if your interested PM.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I don't think he is running two individual basses separately, I think he wants to play lead bass and have two basses into one amp.

If your bass amp has two inputs it is probably possible, I used to be able to run bass and guitar through my old traynor practice amp. Regardless of the parts in the same range, it isn't going to end well for you.

If it does have two inputs one is padded, you will have to compensate for the volume loss which will be basically impossible.

If you want it to sound remotely decent, get another amp, if your fine with it sounding like total garbage and potentially damaging your equipment, go for it.

Really though, why do you need a second bass? If it is THAT essential, make a track and loop it.
  4. aetheriac

aetheriac Supporting Member

I think you would want to put a small mixer between the guitars and the amp, so only one actual signal is hitting the amp.
  5. lustersilk

lustersilk

I think your best option is to run the second bass directly into the P.A., using a good DI, like Sansamp BDDI. My experience with two guitars into an amp has never been a good one.
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

+1

run the second one right into the PA for that one song.

two basses jammed into the two jacks on a typical bass amp will interfere with each other electronically.
  7. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

ABY switcher... or 2 pa channels...

I like the 2 channel idea
  8. kevteop

kevteop

You could use a little Boss LS-2 to mix the signals and then out to the input on your amp. If you put one bass into the input and one into one of the channel returns you could even switch off the spare bass with a stomp of the footswitch if you set the LS-2 to A+B Mix mode. Your main bass's level would be unaffected and you could dial in however much of the second bass you want on the LS-2.
  9. dubhnight

dubhnight

Why don't you plug the bass that's going to be played in the higher register into a guitar amp? I'm sure you have one of those onstage and it would sound better compared to putting 2 through one bass amp, not to mention a lot easier. You wouldn't have to worry about blowing the amp either, that wouldn't happen if you were playing on the higher notes. It's worth a try.
  10. JumboJack

JumboJack

This..
  11. Crazyeelboy

Crazyeelboy Gold Supporting Member

I'd go with the DI into the PA for the second bass approach.

Then again, I tend to do exactly the opposite than is planned here - I split my signal into two amps!