1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Advice for a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J.Nuno, Nov 14, 2012.

1. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

Hi,

I need some advice. I know his is going to e very vague, which people hate, but let's give it a try.

My starting bass was a P-cheapo, the next one was a Squire VM 70 Jazz and now I'm considering getting a new one.

I now that usually you would need details like what kind of music I play, what kind of bass I need, other preferences, etc. but actually I wanted to keep it "simple" if it's possible :)

Given their value, considering the price, I'm considering another Squier or (if I find one) an SX. But I feel that maybe I might be ignoring some other good options. Don't think much about woods, image and style, just overall quality. Should be a 4-string with a price range around 350-450€(tops!).

Thanks guys!
  2. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

'Simple' cries for a decent Precision bass again. Unless you want to journey into the ACTIVE camp, the P fills most everything of what you've asked.

Simple - fits any venue and you've got a Jazz and you totally need a Precision to round out your choir.

You have a very decent Jazz in that '70s version - I have one too.

Not to rank on the SX - but you're already upgraded from one of those in the VM, so why go backwards?

I never advocate used basses or gear - but in Europe (?) you may not have much choice especially if your local coin-of-the-realm is higher valued that the US script (I don't keep track of international currency exchanges).

Go Squier CV in a P and you've gone in the right direction (up) and it won't cost you too much. I'd also keep your eye open for a MIM Precision too.
  3. Wallace320

Wallace320

You got a Pbass (more or less), a Jbass (very close to) you may need a P/J configured and proficient, yet cheap, bass;)

Yamaha BB424X has it all
    alder body, AlNiCo split pickup, Ceramic monorail bridge single, stringthru body

All in your given price range... and tone forever!

Cheers,
    Wallace
  4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Look at a simple P bass to go along with that jazz. You could add flats to the P and get the old school tone and keep rounds on the jazz to get a more mod, grind tone. This way you have two different basses and tones covered.

The Squier CV p basses are great for the money and play and sound nice.
  5. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

Thanks for your replies so far guys. A "simple" P does seem like the way to go :)

The yamaha P-J also looks interesting, but I need to read some reviews.

From the moment I got the VM I felt the need for a CV-P brother to go along with it. Now it really might be the time to go get it :)

Still, if somebody has any other ideas keep them coming!

PS: No I'm not really interested in Active right now and if we consider SX going a bit backwards then maybe I'll get an SX when I buy the first fretless or a 5-string.
  6. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

How much do looks matter? If the appearance is also important, follow the majority advice and get a Precision. If it's not, Wallace's suggestion of a Yamaha might be a more versatile solution!
  7. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

I'm just a tad-bit of a Fender fanboi, and I don't mind the playability or voice of a Yammi bass - it just looks so odd to me.

Nathan East is one of my heroes - but I wish he'd play Fenders, instead of those darned Yamahas.

As much as a Yamaha, Suzuki, Radio Flyer or even a Harley Davidson Bass would be OK for some, I'd stay with that classic body and headstock.

JMO
  8. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

Listen, I'm not gonna lie, looks has its share of importance, of course they do :)
    But 1- given my financial situation I can't get very picky; 2- I really wanted to hear opinions disregarding the looks of the beast and 3- that's so subjective that it really doesn't matter here :) What for one is a beautiful Yama, for you maybe isn't :smug: