1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Advice for Buying my first Upright

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bin Son of Bin, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Bin Son of Bin

Bin Son of Bin

I live in Ottawa and I'm looking at buying a Shen 150 Hybrid. I'm waiting for one to come in for another customer so I can briefly try it out.

I am purchasing from a Luthier.

I am going with this model due to price and because I want to use a bow with it and from what I am told the hybrid is where you want to start (with a wooden top and laminate sides/back) to get a better sound.

Is there another brand or model you would suggest?

Jason

2. Thumpie

Thumpie

From what I can gather, the consensus among knowledgeable people is that this is the best new bass available at this price point.

I've played this model, and thought it was a good deal for the $.

It's a shame there aren't more options, but the market for DBs is very small.

3. acubass

acubass

I like the model very well. I've had mine for 4 years and the sound is improving with age. My only suggestion us to buy a used one. I paid 2800$ which included bridge and endpin upgrades. I have seen them used at steals, one was 1900$. But with you being on Canada I'm not sure how feasible that it.

4. Bin Son of Bin

Bin Son of Bin

I check Kijiji and UsedOttawa every day and if you check you'll find one single DB for sale. I've yet to see a Shen and if I had seen one I'd have taken your advice and at least had a Luthier take a look at it.

[UPDATE] I just did a search on the Ebay Canada and U.S sites as well as the Kijiji sites for each region in Canada. Not one Shen 150 (Did find an SB80 on Ebay.com). Used does not seem possible for the 150. :( And used in any Bass is also severely limited.

As it stands the 150 i'm looking at will likely be around that price or a bit less once I'm done.

5. Register to disable this ad