advice for slap setup/strings

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by breen, Nov 4, 2012.

1. breen

breen

I have been trying to work on my slap technique. I raised raised my bridge and have a set of innovation strings(rockabilly I think) I can get a decent sound from the D and G strings but the E and A not so much. Any advice?
  2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

What kind of bass is it, and how high are the strings off the end of the fingerboard?
  3. breen

breen

It's a strunel. The strings are about 3/8" off the end of the fingerboard. The E string especially just sounds really "flabby". I'm sure it is mostly due to technique. Just wondering if I am missing something else.
  4. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Ok. How are you grabbing the strings? I use the pads of my index and middle fingers, but others use the pads of their middle and ring fingers.

Tell me about your left-hand technique. What part of your fingers are you using to stop the strings?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. breen

breen

I use my index and middle fingers to grab the strings. I guess I use all of my fingers on my left hand to stop an open string
  7. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Are you hooking your right hand fingers under the string?

I've always found that the less left hand meat you have on the string, the clearer and tighter the notes sound. Try just using your fingertips.
  8. breen

breen

ya I"ll try that. I may be pulling the string to hard.
  9. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Don't hook your fingers under the strings. I know a lot of slappers show off with big right arm and hand movements, but you really don't need to pull that hard.

Try to play clean and tight.
  10. breen

breen

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will give all of this a try. I may call on you again.I think it is something that is just going to take a lot of practice to get comfortable with.
  11. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Listen to a lot of old jazz, country and ragtime. Try to play along. When it comes together, it will feel a lot like dribbling a basketball. PM me anytime.