1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Advice! Glock BlueSoul-EBS FafnerII or Puma 900

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lotusland9663, Feb 27, 2014.

1. lotusland9663

lotusland9663 Supporting Member

Hello Fellow Tbers,

I'd like some advice on a new amp purchase.

I've been using Walter Woods amps for a decade now and love them - but I'd like to try something new.

I play mainly R&B, soul, blues, classic rock (no metal or heavy rock).

My cabs are fEARfuls, my basses are a Sadowsky 5, Kinal 5 and a Fodera NYC 5.

I like a heavy, punchy, articulate bottom end with a little midrange grind and some high end sparkle.

I've been reading reviews and articles about the Glockenklang Blue Soul (a fellow TBer likes his WW better), the TecAmp Puma 900 and the EBS Fafner II - anybody out there have any suggestions/experience with these amps or any others in this category that would help me make a decision?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. caligula

caligula

I have no experience regarding the Glockenklang or the Fafner II, but have had the Puma 900 (the "second" model) for a year now; I usually play the Aguilar DB750 but wanted something smaller for my bread and butter gigs.

The Puma is a great lightweight amp that I enjoy a lot for certain things.
    The sound is basically very neutral, it doesn't really colour your bass tone, esp not in the way Aguilar, Ampeg, etc. would.
    It has a great EQ that works just fine and seems to hit the right frequencies (if that makes any sense), esp the low mid knob is great, good low mid punch!
    However, it does sound very smooth and polite to me ("non-aggressive" would a suitable word I guess), great for Jazz, Pop, Soul, dance kinda music.

For my Rock/Heavy Rock gigs (original and cover) I keep using my Aguilar stuff, considerably more bite and grind. To me, the Puma wouldn't work, just too "nice".
    If you need some of that dirt (I love some "hair" and "grind"), you will probably have to use some kind of pedal. I have read on TB that some folks use dirt pedals with their Puma with great results.
    The amp doesn't have this bite (IMO).

3. leroy diamond

leroy diamond

+1. I am also using a Puma 900 and can recommend it. Clean, punchy tone with an excellent EQ. Pretty much plug and play kind of amp, not at all complicated. With my passive Fender jazz the sound is smooth, punchy and clean. However with my active Sadowsky the Puma offers a little more "hair" without getting grindy. If grind sound is what your after the Tone Hammer 500 might be worth an audition.

4. Flatbass

Flatbass

By 'midrange grind' you mean slight overdrive?
    It looks like the Glockenklang Blue Soul's preamp is like the one in the Soul II/Heart-Rock II-series, which means that it gradually goes into overdrive the more you turn up the gain. Very tube-like and pleasing, while retaining Glock's typical high dynamic range and detail.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    We have done full reviews of both the Blue Soul and the Puma 900. These are both inherently clean machines, with the Glock being ultimately more "flat," but the Puma is very clear and detailed, despite having a bit of a baked-in tone curve (it's really very flexible, tonally; but from a technical perspective, it's not as accurate as the Blue Soul). Both of them are excellent units, and they can cover a very wide range of tones. I found both of them to be easy to dial in (slight nod to the TecAmp with regard to this one).

That all being said, I used to own a Fafner and I've played through the Fafner II at several NAMM Shows. IME/IMHO, it is not an easy head to dial in, but it does have a wide range of tones available. Plus, if you want grit/grind/growl/drive, the Fafner II is going to have options available that you just can't get with the Blue Soul or Puma 900 (without a pedal, or something similar - which is not always a bad way to go).

Of course, the obvious form factor, size and weight differences apply, if this is important to you.

7. lotusland9663

lotusland9663 Supporting Member