ADVICE INFO NEEDED ASAP... 70's FOLDED HORN KUSTOM 250 1-18b rig(1x18 371/361 style)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by KINGMUNSON, Sep 8, 2012.

1. KINGMUNSON

KINGMUNSON

Ok I ran across this rig local. Its clean has a very nice driver and is early so no particle board. I know this is an Acoustic 371 clone
    basicly and I know the 250 head probly doesnt have as much headroom as it could but I really havent read any bad reviews on
    this setup. Its as clean as it gets. Im talkingto the guy now making a deal just need some info/opinions on this setup . Ive googled
    and read as much as I can. If I could find a Kustom 2x15 or 3x15 the same height I might get it and make a 2x15 1x18 rig probly
    with the stock head and an Acoustic 370 or maybe get another 250 head. Im mostly into Vintage Acoustic Sunn and Ampeg bass
    gear. Just thought since it was a convenient local folded horn setup it might be worth consideration.

I attached a pic of the inside of the cab. It shows the desighn being a bit different than the acoustic and the speaker is supposed to be either CTS or Eminence. Maybe someone can tell what it is right off.

need to decide asap so any info/advice is appreciated

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/3234991072.html

Attached Files:

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

A 2x10 cab would compliment the 1x18 nicely.

My Rig in the 80s was an acoustic 1x18 and a 1x15. I put the 1x15 on top and ran a crossover. When I put the head on top it was 7 feet tall. A 2x10 cab would have worked better.
  3. KINGMUNSON

KINGMUNSON

Thanks, being an Acoustic nut im familiar with the basics of the Folded horn. I need info on this particuar Kustom rig being worth considering in comparison to a 371 setup. I already have enough acoustic stuff and was about to pull the trigger on a 371 but this is local convenient and I wouldnt
    mind having some more variety BUT if its not up to snuff with the Acoustic I wont mess with it.
  4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

King,

Do you understand the purpose & function of a folded horn cabinet? It is a very specialized design that focuses exclusively on long-throw acoustic output - meaning that it gets MUCH louder at several hundred feet away, than it does just a few feet away. It's meant for large indoor venues - such as sports stadiums - and outdoor performances - NOT for your garden-variety pub gig.

Example: Back in the day, I was jamming with some friends in the living room of one of the guys, using my Cerwin-Vega 18-inch folded horn cab. My volume settings were very modest & reasonable - at least to my ears.

The neighbors - who lived probably 70-80 yards away, across the street - didn't quite hear things the same way. We were getting phone calls from them, complaining that my bass signal was knocking dishes & knick-knacks off the shelves in their home! :eek:

MM
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. johng999

johng999

These cabs are all about size and the dimensions of the horn - as this cabinet is a bit larger than a 301, I would guess that given a good driver it would project very well.
    I have a 301 and think it's awesome. I used to have a Randall folded horn with a 15" driver, and it was nice, too, but just didn't do the lows well at all, I think that is basically because the horn was smaller.
  7. KINGMUNSON

KINGMUNSON

As I said I dont need the basics. I need info on this particular folded horn rig in comparison to the Acoustic rigs it is an obvious knockoff of. I like loud I like impractical. And with different desighn's and drivers a folded horn cab can be usable. Thats why I wanted info on this particular rig from those who have owned or played one.
  8. subbasshz

subbasshz

after my own heart :D:bassist:
  9. KINGMUNSON

KINGMUNSON

Bump.. Anybody owned or played on of these rigs?
  10. xgator4u

xgator4u

This.

I personally can't tell from the cone. Need to see the magnet.
  11. Exxcell

Exxcell

If the price is right, I would steal it. Older Kustom stuff rocks.
  12. KINGMUNSON

KINGMUNSON

The price is 500 and not coming any lower. I would like to pay around 300-400 ideally based on what ive seen these black tuck/roll rigs going for but this is an early version of this seemingly rare rig with the better driver all ply cab matching slipcovers for head/cab all in collectors shape so 500 isnt bad. Just wanted to know i wasnt selling myself short as im mostly into Acoustic and I was going to add a 371 rig to my stable next and this might be a convenient solution BUT i dont want an inferior rig. I know the head will be less powerful that a 370 but im getting another 370 soon anyway.
  13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Have to see the back of the speaker to identify it. I don't know of any current Eminence offerings that use that vented dustcap but older ones did.

If you can find the manufacturer code, Eminence begins with 67, CTS I think 137?

If it is an Eminence, if you email the numbers to their CS dept., they can dig up whatever specs they may have for it.
  14. Balog

Balog Supporting Member

This is factually incorrect. Folded horns don't violate the laws of physics.
  15. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly. It's times like this that I miss BFM and his blunt educational replies.
  16. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

So, IMHO Super cool rig! But still too much if you ask me.
  17. azureblue

azureblue

then you certainly do not know how a folded horn functions, or why it's used, in the first place, especially why they are common is large scale PA systems as sub woofers..

I have used three- a single acoustic (powered) W, then the unpowered version, then two Cerwin Vega half W's, with an 18" in each. The common denominator- they would project the fundamental way out beyond the stage and hammer an audience, while sounding a bit anemic on stage. The 2 CV's was the best, but it would literally walk a glass off a table. But, as another poster said, what was heard on stage was not what was heard in the audience - the sound on stage was a bit quiet and lacking fundamental - I had to stand right in front of it to hear myself, if I was on a small to medium size stage. IIRC, I had to be about 15 feet away from the cabs before I could hear what they were doing. I later moved to 2 -18's in a slot port cabinet and that reduced projection, and was much easier to hear on stage, but the 18's sort of blew the sound right past you.
  18. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Folded horns lack mid/upper response because the higher frequencies don't go around the corners very well.

The seemingly quiet sound on stage is the result of cancellations. Move out away from the sound source and you get out of the cancellation zone and hear all the sound, seemingly "throwing" to the back of the room.

In general, sound decreases at a rate of 6db per doubling of distance from the source. That would be in an open field. In a room, the further you are away, the more you are hearing reflected sound off the walls/ceiling, etc. and the less you are hearing straight from the source, meaning directly from speaker ---> ear.
  19. Balog

Balog Supporting Member

You realize that you're just demonstrating that you lack a basic understanding of physics here, right? It's kind of embarrassing to watch.

Edit: Directed at two posts up not at will.
  20. KINGMUNSON

KINGMUNSON

Well this got out of hand haha. Still looking for someone that has experience with this particular rig. I know what a folded horn is/does. I have other cabs Acoustic 406 2x15, 408 4x15,70's SVT 8x10, Sunn 2x15... im set on normal cabs. I wanted specificly to add a folded horn to the stable. Was gonna get a 371 but this Kustom popped up local so I figured id consider it. All this research ive been doing on Kustom has me thinking of selling my Acoustic 406 and buying 2 matching Kustom 2x15's in a sparkle tuck and roll because the 406 really isnt a go to cab for me but a matching pair of 2x15's be more usable in my setup.
  21. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

I had a 301 for several years. I drove it with a 200 watt tube head (Marshall Major). I liked the rig, but it was a pain to move, even though I was a very fit 26ish guy with a big 4-door Plymouth V8.

IMHO, you should judge this rig on it's sound. IME, a good modern 410 totally kills ANY of the old 118 or even 215 cabs for bottom, low mids, slam and volume.

BTW, the "it develops out further in the house," myth is due to the lack of mid response. In fact, on some stages, the cab is quite loud. Bottom line is if YOU LIKE IT, GET IT.

I would run the other way.