Advice needed about pre amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by the_hotdog, Dec 10, 2013.

1. the_hotdog

the_hotdog

Hey guys,
    I am in the process of selling my 810 cabinet and am actually wanting to look into investing in a second amp set up option. I currently use a markbass head and like it, but I am wanting to try the pre amp+power amp set up. I have limited knowledge about this subject, so I need some advice. I have found the behringer inuke power heads for around $200 and the Sansamp RBI is around $200 so it is a cheap investment after I sell this cabinet. Will this set up work with my remaining 410 cabs? Does anyone have any experience with either of these two products? I play hard rock (not metal) and use clean tones with distortion if needed, and my markbass has never really blown me away with its tone.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The Sansamps got plenty of fans....could probably read about Sansamps for weeks around here.

Yup...Behringers are cheap. There's other poweramps out there that are also affordable and quality, like QSC, Peavey, Crown, Crest, etc. as well as just about any old used leadsled you'll find on craigslist.

Other main deal about pairing up preamps and poweramps is the poweramps "input sensitivity" vs. the strength of signal the preamp can put out. End up with a low output preamp hooked up to a poweramp that needs to be "fed" more juice to hit it's output levels and you'll end up with weak, quiet, or "anemic" sound even though the poweramp is supposed to be 1000 watts or whatever, so check into that.

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The RBI drives any poweramp.

Nearly all soundguys are happy to take its DI out for FOH.

4. the_hotdog

the_hotdog

Okay thanks, I will look into it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Consider the sansamp RPM, too. More flexible mid EQ.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for anything SansAmp. Add $100 to your power amp budget and you can buy something much nicer (albeit used) than a Behringer here in the classifieds.

Then be prepared to roll every preamp known to man through your rig....

Riis

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    +1

If you want something that is killer loud, clean, bullet proof, and will last for decades, look for a Crest CA6 or CA9. They are heavy 45+ LBS., but that means they are popping up for sale USED on ebay, TB, etc. as lighter stuff comes around. :eyebrow:

I bought a 7 year-old CA6 in 2006 on ebay for about ~$550. It is still going strong. Works great for bass or PA. Two channels that can handle 2, 4, and 8 ohm loads, and can bridge to 4 or 8. :cool:

Lead sleds! Can you tell I love them??? :D :hyper: