Advice Needed - Lessons for Left Handed Guitarist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jaywa, Feb 8, 2013.

1. jaywa

jaywa

I have a friend who approached me for recommendations on a guitar teacher for his 10-year-old son. His son is left-handed (at least in terms of guitar playing) and he said he has a line on a guitar teacher who is also left-handed.

There are a couple guitarists in the area that I know (and have gigged with), who I am pretty sure are much better than the guy he mentioned... but play right handed.

So, do you think that in the case of this left-handed student, the left-handed teacher is a better option even if he's not as good of a guitarist per se? Or should I steer my friend to one of the good right-handed teachers?

Thanks in advance.
  2. spade2you

spade2you

He's young enough that he could adapt. I highly recommend trying to learn how to play right handed. Things are better than they used to be, but many guitars, basses, and certain hardware will never be available left-handed.
  3. pflash4001

pflash4001

If he's a lefty, he's a lefty. I think with a competent right handed teacher I think he'll be fine...at least better off than with a less competent lefty teacher.
  4. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Im left handed but I golf and play guitar right handed...go figure Im guessing its because when I first picked up both of those things they were righty...Have the kid try righty first, it may work. In fact I think I might be better because his left hand (strong hand) will be the fret hand.
  5. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

Are the guitarists you know better teachers than the one under consideration or just better guitarists?