1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Advice needed - MIJ Jaguar Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pokerstar, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Pokerstar

Pokerstar Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Minneapolis, Mn
    Hi folks,

I am looking at a used (Great Shape) MIJ Fender Jaguar Bass. It is Active / Passive, and I read about the need to work on the shielding to prevent hum in active mode.

Is there anything else I should look for / look at / inspect?

I am heading back to the store after work to play it, and if possible pop the controls to see if it has been changed / messed with.

Thanks! any and all advice is appreciated..... I will also need to figure a case or gig bag for it, too.

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    Do a search. I've written a ton about this bass and its unique problems, which are mostly electrical/electronic, based on a lot of bench time with the instrument.

Short answer, I do not recommend it.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. If you really like the bass and can get it for a decent price, take a look at the mods JohnK did to his Jags:

http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/Jaguar-Bass.html

I got mine in mint condition for $400, so I didn't mind putting $200–$300 into to it upgrade it. I replaced the preamp with the EMG BTS system (or rather had my luthier do it for me), and replaced the pots, knobs and jack as well. I was also gifted a set of Fender Custom Shop 60s Jazz pickups as well, which were a nice upgrade that, granted, I didn't have to pay for.

As far as a case is concerned, mine fits fine a Fender tweed case that used to hold my Jazz Bass.

5. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    If you don't mind or even like working on your own bass, they can very good to great axes. My '07 came with cheap ceramic pickups but I think newer models have Alnico pickups, so you may or may not need a pickup swap. Shield it well and you'll have a killer bass that's extremely versatile.
    Here's a pic of mine, I've really modded it out and wow! Just love it.
    [​IMG][/URL]
    Mods:
    Fender CS '60's pups
    Hipshot UltraLite tuners
    Aluminum nut
    Leo Quan BAII bridge
    Stacked Vol/Tone and Blend
    Fender 5 bolt neck plate
    Copper Foil shielding
    I've also added spacers under the switches to lower them a bit