Advice needed on Ampeg Rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Nikus, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

I very recently bought an Ampeg PF500 and 210HE rig.

I love the Ampeg sound and would prefer to stick with it (I play a 2013 Fender MIA Deluxe Jazz Bass V), unless someone can change my mind :D

I am hearing a LOT of people all over the forums here and beyond about the PF500 amp cutting out and I simply do not want to deal with it (especially on stage) in case something like this happens. I have had few of new band practices with this rig and the amp has never done it to me, but at the same time we do not play very loud.

Again, I am afraid of the amp cutting out during a gig THUS I am looking to replace it with another Ampeg product that has more stability (possibly an all tube or hybrid unit).

So at the end, I am looking for possibly getting a different Ampeg head and 2 cabs so I can just move the head between the house and practice without moving the cabs back and forth. Basically, "get 2 for the price of one" :)

Any professional advice or recommendation on this?

BTW, if chosen to replace the amp, I would have a 3 month old PF500 and 210HE for sale in Chicago area. They are both in MINT condition with full remaining warranty (purchased from authorized Ampeg Dealer).
  2. KablesP

KablesP

Firstly, if you want to sell you have to be a supporting member and post in the classified section.

Secondly, what is your budget? I have no played a PF500 but I used a 350 and it cut out non stop. Kept going into protect mode or whatever. I had the gain and master at about 3 oclock.

I have heard really good things about the 7Pro. Lightweight, has tube preamp and sounds good.

A tube amp is another story. They are much heavier and generally more expensive. You can find a CL for 800-1200. Their tube heads all sound great so tone won't be an issue.

How loud do you rehearse? The tube heads are 300 watts so your cab should handle at least that much. I would recommend 600 to be safe. Also, with tube heads the impedance MUST match or you will damage the head. I would recommend 2 210HE cabs for that rig.

Check out the 7Pro first.
  3. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

My apologies. I will look into becoming a supporting member and post in the classified section.

My budget is no more then $1500-$2000 for all 3 pieces.

Thank you
  4. KablesP

KablesP

Well that can get you a really great rig.

I would look into an Ampeg SVT CL. Sometimes you can get a good deal on the SVT II (non pro)

Lets say you get a CL for $1000. You could easily afford 2 4x10 cabinets. 410s are better as standalone cabs than a 210 is. Avatar makes good cabs that you can find used for under 500. It also might be cool to get a different kind of cab like a 215, or a 212. Just make sure it can handle the wattage. Or you could go all the way and get an 810...:bassist:
  5. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

I am really liking the idea of two 410s or 210 and 410 so I can have one at the practice and one in the house and both for the gig.
  6. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

If you are going to do the 2X10 + 4X10 rig, you need to get the 2X10 at double the impedance of the 4X10 (ie: 4 ohm 4X10 + 8 ohm 2X10 -OR- 8 ohm 4X10 + 16 ohm 2X10) to ensure equal power distribution to all speakers.
  7. KablesP

KablesP

I think he means use the 210 at rehearsal and use the 410 for shows so he doesn't have to keep moving his rehearsal cabinet.
  8. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

Thanks for an awesome advice!
  9. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

Yes, but this way I could use both at the gig, and separately as well, correct?
  10. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

That's not what I read.........

11. bolophonic

bolophonic

I don't know how awesome that advice actually is.
  12. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Yes............

You will need to make sure your amp will accommodate the total ohm load though (2.67 ohm with the 4 ohm + 8 ohm load, and 5.3 ohms for the 8 ohm + 16 ohm).

If you get a 2X10 and a 4X10 with matching impedance, you will be delivering twice the power to the speakers in the 2X10, and it will limit you from getting really any louder then using the 4X10 by itself.
  13. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Care to say why ?
  14. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

Could you please elaborate?

Also, could we please talk about the best options for a head and cabinets? I heard about the Ampeg SVT-7PRO. Do anyone else recommends any other options?

Thanks!
  15. KablesP

KablesP

I recommended the Ampeg SVT CL several times already. That is, if you want a tube amp.

And to be completely honest, a single 410 will be PLENTY for a small to medium gig. And if the gig is big enough, there will be PA support.

Plus, hauling in 2 cabs is going to get old quick.
  16. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

But the CL is almost $1750 itself. With 2 cabs that puts me way over budget.
  17. KablesP

KablesP

Check out ebay or craigslist or the classifieds here. You can find a used one for 1000. Don't be afraid to buy used, just make sure you know what to look for.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I know lots of people who have run their PF500's problem free, and if you got a more recently made one, it's been updated to ensure that. Won't say it won't ever cut out on you as any amps can break, but there have been revisions along the way to address the problems others were having.
  19. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

I got my from Amazon 3 months ago. Per Ampeg Technical Support Team, my PF500 was manufactured in July of 2013 but purchased at Amazon in November 2013.

Were there any problems with the PF800s? Maybe I could look into just replacing the head. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You should be good to go with the revisions then. Having said that, I just got the PF800 last week and it's a real hammer! Sounds like the PF500 but hits a little harder because of the extra headroom. And I have only seen one legit report of failure with it reported on here in the last year, and two in total, and the second turned out to be a bass problem, not the amp.