1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Advice on 4 pickup/complex electronics wiring??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Here goes;is it at all possible to wire electronics like so: 2 Tbird style humbuckers, an EB3-style mini-humbucker, 3 volume pots (push-pull for series/parallel), 25dB bass/treble(stacked) and midrange cut&boost, Alembic Q-filter, and a piezo pickup with separate blend pot and Q-filter??
    And if not, are there any alternate suggestions for highly versatile electronics??

2. giuseppecaporus

giuseppecaporus

Yes I'm making a wiring with an active preamp with :
    Vol , blend,high/low,mid,midrange,passive tone 5 way onboard overdrive , 3 way mini tone switch , a kill switch (and maybe a slap switch) this it a 3 way toggle tag connect 2 piezo mic in the neck pocket and 2 under the bridge , than for the 2 way toggle it goes to a blend pot with a split coil pickup and the blend goes indeed the preamp blend with a 5 way switch for coil split, series,parallele and reverse series of a mm pickup ! That's all !

3. giuseppecaporus

giuseppecaporus

But I don't knob about alembic filters , if you want I can help you with wiring diagram ?

4. RobbieK

RobbieK

@OP, that's all doable. Should be straightforward for a decent tech. On top of the stuff you've listed, you'll need some sort of twin buffer preamp so you can blend the piezo with the magnetic pickups. You'll also need a router I'd say to make room for all of this. What sort of bass is it?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Its shaped like an explorer;all maple except for a snakewood fingerboard, and its fretless.

7. RobbieK

RobbieK

Cool. 8 pots, right? Plus a battery compartment, and an extra pickup route. Possibly a couple of switches for the Q Filters. You may want to think about 18volt operation. With 2 Q filters, 2 buffer preamps, and your 3 band preamp, your battery life won't be fantastic with only 9volts, especially with those (hot) humbuckers. Also remember that most of your pots are deep - three push-pulls, a dual gang blend, and a stacked treb and bass, and I think the Qfilters have their little circuit board on the pot too. This means that you'll need to carefully think about where the other circuits are going to fit.