Advice on a new bass - something the opposite of a RIC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AngryPig1, Mar 12, 2014.

1. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

Hi everyone, I think its maybe about time I got a new bass. I havent bought one for over 10 years. Ive got a 4003 Ric at the moment and love it to bits. It really is a great instrument and I've never had any trouble with it.

BUT I've got the urge to part with some cash and a pretty new bass would be reaaaal nice (I blame this forum quite thoroughly for these urges).

Anyway I'd like something tonally completely different to the Rics beastly growl, something warm and subby maybe. It would be used to play some dub, some bass in an electronia sort of situation and to complement my ric in a covers band. and for general fun.

Can anyone recommend a few options here? Maybe a P with flats? Maybe something fretless? I dont know... i'd like to spend less than £1000... not sure what that is in dollars $1200 maybe?

Thanks guys
  2. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

thats about $1,600 US.

If you have to spend 1000 or higher, I would personally... and this is just for a deep long sustain and smooth tone.... get a Ibanez Terra Firma or an MTD Kingston Heir.
  3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Squier VM with flats?
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Anything will be different from a RIC.
    Try a nice Jazz, great versatile axe.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

Thanks guys, will track down some sound clips. That Ibanez looks interesting. I hadnt really considered a 6 string before. I'd really like to try before I buy whatever I go for and that may be difficult to pinpoint in london...

Keep the suggestions coming though please!
  7. DogBone

DogBone

Consider a Precision, a very useful and iconic tone.

However, if you're looking for electronica or dub, you may want to consider a Jazz, the neck pickup makes a great reggae/dub deep tone, or for something really different a Steinberger makes a KILLER reggae beast and would be a natural for electronica.

Also don't overlook short scale basses. The shorter string length means a strong fundamental, excellent for dub, plus the shorter scale may inspire you to play a bit differently.

Just some suggestions, good luck.
  8. SlappyWhite

SlappyWhite

RIC components: maple, rosewood with finish on the fingerboard, ceramic pickups..binding

I think the opposite of a RIC must be a mahogany Ibanez Soundgear with a bubinga/wenge neck, but you could get a better bass than that with sixteen hundred imo.

I think I'd buy an American Special Precision.
  9. gpx1200

gpx1200

ive owned several 5 strings and the only one I ever realy liked to play is my spector rebop5dlx, as far opposite from a ric as you can get unless you went for the neck threw version a spector euro lx5 for a slightly deeper warmer tone
  10. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

I'd say a Precision is a good option.
  11. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

If I had $1600 I'd purchase one of the used Valenti basses in the TB classifieds.
  12. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I went from a Ric to a P bass, and they are indeed polar opposites. Both are awesome, but they are completely unlike each other.

Having played a Ric for 20 years or better, the one thing I could not abide was the P neck. I replaced my P neck with a Carvin SB-4000 neck, and it ROCKS! It's got a similar nut width to a Ric, and it's kinda chunky in the same way my 4003 neck is too. It feels like home!
  13. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

I like the p bass idea too. You already have the ric, and adding the p bass will give you two nice classic basses for your stable. Also, with flats on the p and rounds on the ric, you'll have a nice range of tones.

You could also check out the Fender Modern Player Telecaster bass. I have one with flats on it, and it gets a really great boomy, subby type tone that works well for dub or drum and bass type bass lines. There is an issue with the design in that they used the exact same pickup in the bridge and neck position, and the result is that the poles on the bridge pickup don't line up with the strings very well. I can't really hear any problems with the bridge pickup, though I may one day swap it out for something with rails to see if there's a difference. Either way, this is an otherwise well made bass and falls well within your budget.
  14. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

OK a lot tot think about, thanks everyone. Hopefully gonna go and try out a few of these on friday.

A P is very tempting but I have mixed feelings about them. Everytime I play one my opinion shifts between liking or disliking them. Maybe Im ready now ha....

Dogbone, whats the benefit of the steinberger for electronica/dub? Im just having a little look now and im confused by all the models/imitations... is the benefit the graphite composition? I did always want one when i started playing (mainly becasue i thought they looked super cool)
  15. gpx1200

gpx1200

body woods aside I don't think that Ibanez is tonaly that different from the ric(I have 2 sr50o"s) it has a very similar high/midrangy grind to the ric and I would not call it a warm tone compaired to that of say a warwick or spector.
    while the neck on the Ibanez is a joy to play I think it's the very thin neck profile that costs the Ibanez in the tone department. this belief comes from the fact that I own a sr 500 and a 505 with the only difference being slightly more neck wood and bridge mass on the 505 and the tonal difference is huge even when playing on the higher strings their is a noticeable difference.
    the sr's are killer basses that I have loved since the 80's but if your looking for something on the other side of the tonal spectrum from your rick theyr not it.
    if you want something that will realy thump I'd check out something with a nice thick slab of zebrawood on it and some good humbuckers like emg tw's like my spector zeebop made even warmer sounding with an agualir opb-3 preamp, this thing has the deepest hardest thump of any bass I have ever owned, im trying to find a 5 string neck threw version of it now.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      634.1 KB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      448.7 KB
      Views:
  16. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes You're right ..Fender Precision Bass with Flat will do.
    (Like I do :D ...Heavy Gauge Flatwound Strings, Pick with thumb, near the neck,.. I'm Happy..... (oh I miss that SWR Mo Bass Amp...it has some Sub Bass setting that wicked for the purpose you mention)

Attached Files:

17. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

im loving my Musicman Sterling HH so many different tones its crazy. I have not touched my CS 64 Jazz Relic since i bought the Sterling.I cant believe i said that but its true.Its a real nice change.Of course soon enough i will play the Jazz again as you im sure you will your RIC......good luck
  18. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

Righty thanks guys. thats a fair scope fot hings to havea go on. I'll get back to you how they all turn out.

I know this may be opening up a horrendous can of worms but tips on fender P's? arent there loads of different models? Maybe i'll just do some forum trawling instead.....
  19. TheDepths

TheDepths Supporting Member

Warm and subby?

P bass with the tone rolled off and flats would be my vote. How about a Gibson EB-3?? From what I hear (not much personal experience with them) they might fit your criteria....I could be wrong but it can't hurt to try one out?
  20. Amara

Amara Fumble-Fingered Beginner Supporting Member

A Rickenbacker 4004? ;)
  21. woodyng

woodyng

Yep! With some flats,or tape-wounds. A very bassy thumpy woody full sounding bass,especially if you favor the Right-next-to-the-fretboard neck pickup.