1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Advice on a P-Bass w/ a narrower neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by radiophonic, Dec 21, 2013.

1. radiophonic

radiophonic

I'm after that P-Bass thump but I have smallish hands. Precision necks are just a bit too chunky for me. My main bass is a 1990 EBMM Stingray and that feels perfect to me, so the question is: Does anyone make aftermarket necks of Stingray dimensions that would fit a stock Precision body? One option would be a Jazz neck I suppose or a Deluxe P-Bass Special, but I want passive electrics and the Jazz neck isn't quite what I'm after either. I'm in the UK so my s/h options are probably a bit limited. Am I asking the impossible?

2. Jayce73

Jayce73

Look into the lakland skyline 44-64 PBass.

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

IMO/IME, Stingray and P necks are very similar, whereas Sterling and Jazz necks are very similar to one another...

If you want a passive P Bass with a smallish neck, a Peavey Fury is an excellent value - you can probably grab one off of ebay for a very reasonable amount...

- georgestrings

4. Gunner77

Gunner77

I am in the same boat as you as far as hand size and I have found the Fender Nate Mendel P-bass is a perfect fit for me. The specs fall in between a P and a J neck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

+1, slim side to side but kinda thick front to back, very comfortable IME. great build quality too. I would look on the gc used site tho, prices seem more reasonable on there

7. Morten_B

Morten_B Supporting Member

Or you can build your own Warmoth bass, with a P body and J neck. That's what I did with this one, and you get a custom bass... This one has a raw Pau Ferro neck, just amazing feel compared to any clear coated neck.

8. radiophonic

radiophonic

I like the look of those Lakland basses, but as always the devil will be in the detail. I played a brand new EBMM Stingray recently and it felt absolutely nothing like mine at all. I'll need to find a helpful UK dealer who carries more than about three basses in stock... not always easy.

9. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    I picked up a Squier VM Jazz neck (maple w/black inlays)and a Fender P-bass body and did a setup....(for VERY inexpensive prices) and I have a killer playing and sounding bass.
    Just another option.

10. shoot-r

shoot-r

Tells me more about that Mendale P please. :hyper:

(Side note: I and the wife shoot the Bianchi Cup there in Columbia, Mo., ever been out to their range at Hallsville?)

11. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

I too wanted a P-bass that fit my small hands. Tried swapping necks between my Fender Jazz and Precision; worked alright. Bought a Status graphite replacement Jazz-neck for my P-bass; worked alright. Recently bought a '57 reissue Precision and played it a while; perfect. I got used to the neck, now the Jazz feels a bit weird...

12. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

This Lakland USA Glaub P-Bass ordered with the Joe Osborn Jazz neck is a dream to play. Costly, but luxurious and "thumpy." Bass Central has others you can look at.

Also look at the G&L SB-2. Nice bass and may fit what you're looking for.

[​IMG]

13. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

I am a hardcore Jazz neck lover. Most of the stable contains Jazz basses.

Never been a fan of the Precision neck but love the sound. The other day I played a 2013 American Standard Precision at a shop and really liked the neck. It is 1.62 wide (not 1.7 like others) and had a nice 'rolled' board and a decent thickness front to back. It was nice. I bought it.

I would suggest you go try one.

I also played the Nate Mendel. Kind of liked the nitro finish and while the neck felt thin, I did not like it as much as the American Standard. That coming from a Jazz neck lover.

You might want to check out a P bass special. Those necks, I believe are very thin for a Precision.

14. radiophonic

radiophonic

I suspect that the 1.625 neck is the key here. Just the right spacing down the bottom. I'm quite trad when it comes to styling too. I'll take something that basically looks like a Fender over pretty much anything. A bit of a twist is ok. Hence the Stingray.

15. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

I love that you called the Fury a p bass. I totally agree with this nomenclature and classification.