Advice on amp selection

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by oldmetalhead, Jan 27, 2014.

1. oldmetalhead

oldmetalhead

Have the opportunity to get an 1001RB-210 or the Fusion 550 with Neo 115 and neo 212 cabs. Back in the day it was always GK heads and Hartke cabs. Haven't seen a lot of comparison between the GK SS and Tube pre amp. Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

2. thunder_dan

thunder_dan

Depends on what you're gonna use them for. Those old Hartke cabs were great back in the day. Durable, inexpensive, and decent sound quality. The newer ones I've played on weren't so hot. I'd just get an old GK head and an Ampeg cabinet and call it a day.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Go with the Fusion 550 and the NEO cabs. Personal experience talking here. My rig has been the 550 with either the NEO412 or NEO212 II for some time now.

4. oldmetalhead

oldmetalhead

Thanks for the responses. I'm hoping to get back to gigging at some point. I have always used a brighter sound which led to the GK's. I like the sound of my Backline 600 with the 4 strings but lacks a bit with the 5. It does however make a killer keyboard amp. I'm leaning toward the Fusion setup. Those Neo cabinets look like they have a large tone range. Plus they utilize the full power of the head.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

The very high end is creamer on the Fusion 550. You will most likely find you will only need the 212 or the 115 for most gigs. That amp is much louder than you would expect for it's power rating (uses the 1001RB II's power amp with slightly lower rail voltage).

7. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

I'd go for the Fusion + 212. Loud enough for most gigs, sounds awesome. Plus if you need extra loudness, just get another 212.