Advice on answering a CL ad

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SlowMike, Feb 9, 2013.

1. SlowMike

SlowMike

There's a local ad looking for a "beginning - intermediate" bassist for a blues band. Although I'd sworn to forever keep my bass playing confined to my basement, I'm tempted to answer this ad due to the advice I've read on this forum about playing with other humans.

I've never answered a CL ad before, so what type of information should I seek from the poster before I commit to something like this? I don't want to come across as a jackass, but on the other hand I don't want to walk into a bad situation.

As a craptacular bass player, I'm certainly not worried about musicianship, but there are a few red lines for me (no drugs being the first item...job related).

Sorry for the goofy question, I'm a bit of a social misfit when it comes to this stuff. I'm just looking for those types of things that some of you consider when replying to want ads.

Thanks everyone.

2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Keep the first email short and sweet. No 5000 word essays.
    Tell the honestly what your capability's are and the styles of music you like.
    Give them your phone # or ask for theirs and the best times to call.
    You can learn a lot from a short phone call.

3. AaronMB

AaronMB

I'd say exactly what you want to say, nearly how you tell it here. If it were me, a response from you along those lines would seem real enough and I'd appreciate that. If you get a sane and reasonable reply from them, seek more info!
    Good luck.

4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Bingo.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hampulator

hampulator

Be honest,and tell them/him that your mainly in it for the fun factor. But really all ya can do is hook up for maybe an hour,see how He/She/they are and go from there. Tell 'em ..."Let's jam for an hour and see how it goes"?
    It's one thing,what people say. What they do,and look like,and their personality will be better judged in person. Hey,go for it and best of luck!

7. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

You will meet some of the oddest people ever from answering musician ads on Craigslist, be forewarned. That said I've joined some awesome bands from doing it, but I've been in some sketchy situations as well.

8. thehindteet

thehindteet

I agree with the previous post- if you go and it turns out to be awful don't be discouraged. Some of my best, longest lasting music situations have come from craigslist but the ratio of bad to good has been about 4 or 5 to 1, so don't be afraid to pass and try again if it doesn't feel good.

9. SlowMike

SlowMike

Very helpful advice as usual.

Sent a short and factual reply. And I'm heeding your warnings on CL ads...keeping the expectations low.

Thanks!

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

You may want to check out my links on Being in a Band. Covers pretty much what you need to know.

Gook luck~!

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If you go & play with these guys, no matter the outcome, you'll improve by playing with others. You'll enjoy your tone more when heard in contrast to those you play music with.

You can also evaluate your gear and ability in this context as well. It is an addictive-fun thing.