1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Advice on building a board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by blacklariat09, Jan 6, 2013.

1. blacklariat09

blacklariat09

Hey guys, I'm all new around here and heard about this from a friend and have been a scavenger of information. Anyways, I have been playing bass for several years but finally got my first real bass.

I received a Schecter Omen Extreme 5 String with the active Diamond Pickups.

Anyways, to the point. I have decided I would really like to build a pedal board for playing. I play in a worship setting in a rather post-modern contemporary service on Sunday mornings and sometimes in a youth group setting. Both are pretty "edgy" but requires to play in some of a pocket.

I'd really like to build a board that's versatile but fits in nicely in these situations, here is what I am looking for in general terms, but not necessarily sold out on any of this -

Tuner - (I already have a Korg Pitchblack)
    Distortion - (Bass Big Muff Pi) ??
    Delay
    Reverb
    Chorus
    Volume Pedal
    Adjustable DI - (thinking Tech21 Bass Driver Programmable)

Maybe:
    Graphic EQ - (this is a maybe)
    Octave
    Overdrive/Booster - (not sure on this with an active bass, seen a lot about the Phat Phuk and Sex Drive on here, think I would prefer the Sex Drive)

I am easily willing to cut anything here or add anything. I have used some pedals from other people and tried them out (not on my bass, but another). Used the Boss Delay, Big Muff Pi, Boss Volume Pedal, Fulltone OCD Overdrive, and a Wah (not a huge fan), and the TU-3 Boss Tuner.

The Pitchblack is full bypass that I liked over the TU-3 and liked the pedals I used above.

Thanks for the input guys.

2. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

It really depends what your after man. There are so many effects to choose from. Try everything you can. I have the boss dd-3 digital delay and i think its great versatile delay and its not too expensive. As for chorus i'm still on the hunt for that perfect chorus pedal myself! I don't really see the need for a reverb pedal on bass but to each his own.

3. blacklariat09

blacklariat09

Yes, I certainly like the Boss Digital Delay and that seems to be a really popular one. That may be the one to add, I am trying to feel it out. By versatility I am looking to have a little bit of the options to fill out, occasional grit, but never just straight clean (I actually am the technical director of my church and the clean bass sound has never filled the room like we like it too).

I am really trying to determine what pedals are necessities, which are niceties, and which are pointless.

The reverb bass idea was to extend out on softer songs but I could probably pull that idea off with a slow delay and boost. The reverb is probably extraneous with those pedals so I see what you mean for sure.

ADDED EDIT:
    I am also trying to find the fit, so many pedals out there and if there are some that interact better than others for this kind of setup.

4. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

It all depends what your into man. I am a huge effects user and have a massive array of effects. Probably too many haha. The aqua puss is also an awesome delay but i prefer the DD-3. I always run a grit channel as i don't like the straight clean sound either. The turbo rat is great for a basic grit/distortion. Plus its cheap. I've also heard great things about the pork loin. For dirt beyond my grit channel i use the mad professors blueberry overdrive and a colorsound tonebender fuzz. It also depends on what you want to spend. There are boutique pedals i look at that are 250-500 dollars that i would love to own but i just cant afford to spend that right now whereas i could find something similar for 150-200. I feel the synergy on my board is great and all the pedals work really well together for the most part which is what i have been trying to achieve for awhile now. 3 more effects i want and my board is done :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

1. Keep your tuner.

2. Chorus, maybe the new MXR that everyone is so excited about.

3. MXR Octave Deluxe, for sure.

4. MXR M80 Bass DI+ (contains a DI, an EQ and a distortion channel).

The end.

7. blacklariat09

blacklariat09

I have heard a lot about that new MXR and everything MXR on chorus seems to be pretty awesome. I know a guy who has a BOSS Bass Chorus and it's nice but I think the MXR is a little nicer.

Is the M80 really nicer than the Bass Driver. There's a guy in town who has both and I just need to get him to let me try each out, but he swears by the Tech21.

8. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

The two are pretty different. First, a very different circuit for overdrive. The M80 is way more overdriven into distortion land. The Bass Driver overdrive is going to be more subtle and probably more retro sounding. Also, the Bass Driver is not as flexible in terms of how it effects your EQ. It's mean to send an ampy signal through the DI to the front of the house. Some guys want an effect they can run into their stage rigs and find that the Bass Driver can be frustrating.

I think you'll know immediately which one is for you. in fact, a few minutes on youtube should sort it out.

9. blacklariat09

blacklariat09

Wow, that helps a lot. I am blown away with how different they can be. Definitely helped to see the difference.