Advice on cabs. EA vs Genz Benz Focus

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by symcbass, Dec 26, 2012.

1. symcbass

symcbass

Looking to see if anyone has experience of these cabs. I'm moving on my Aguilar GS 412, changing to a modular setup for cabs with my Iamp 800.
    I was ready to buy 2 Genz Benz Focus 410's, using one cab for smaller gigs, 2 for large halls etc.
    Play a gut strung double bass ( mostly slap & pizz) in a variety of bands, from Django Jazz through Honky Tonk to loud Rockabilly.
    However, a pair of series II EA NL 210's have come up locally for a good price.
    Just wondered if anyone has experience of the EA's for this kind of setup, bearing in mind my Rockabilly band plays some large halls without PA support for the backline, so I need cabs that can do warm, punchy and loud with nice mids. Any help appreciated.
  2. symcbass

symcbass

I thought I'd have a better chance of replies on here rather than the double bass section, sorry for any intrusion.
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If you are playing loud upright you should check into the fEARless line of cabs. Mark Robertson if the Legendary Shack Shakers (Dukeorock on TB) has a lot of good things to say about the cabs, as they have a cross over specifically set up for upright bass. May be your cup-o-tea, might not, but they are worth looking in to.
  4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

I can't speak to the SPL capacity of the NL210s. But I do know that they are very, very nice cabs - and that they're transparent and hi-fi enough to work very nicely for upright bass. And since you already own an iAmp 800? Not even any debate, IMHO. Were I in your shoes, I'd snap up that pair of NL210s - immediately! :bassist:

MM
  5. symcbass

symcbass

Thanks,
    I'm in the process of self building a 15/6/1 at present, but it'll be a while 'till it's done. The cost of having it built for me in the UK by an authorised builder is the only reason I don't have one yet. They look great for what I do, but I think the EA cabs may also be good for my style/sound. Thanks again for your help.
  6. symcbass

symcbass

They are tempting, as you say especially with the Iamp! cheers.
  7. symcbass

symcbass

Anyone else have any experience with these cabs?
    Thanks.
  8. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would still get in touch with Mark Robertson (dukeorock). He is a Genz Benz endorser and a authorized Greenboy builder.
  9. bassjnky1

bassjnky1

I can't give you a hands on comparison of the cabs that you are considering, but, I have owned one of the Benz Focus 410's for about 6 months. I actually like it more each time I use it. I have tried a,b'ing it with some of my other cabs and the closest cousin seems to be my Berg HT322. Very tweakable and responds well to my amps eq. Can be very transparent or very warm. Plenty punchy. I am not sure yet if this is going to be half of my modular 810 but I am impressed with it's versatility.
  10. symcbass

symcbass

Excellent, thanks.
  11. rimbaud

rimbaud

1- There are many Focus threads, read them, Google is your best friend ;) :
    read here

2- Youtube is also a friend you should consider:
    watch here

:bag: ....... :D
  12. murphy

murphy

I would skip the EA's.
    Mine and my friends had too many blown drivers
  13. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

I used to own that exact setup. Iamp 800 and the dual NL-210's. I thought that rig had a very precise, clean and clear sound. Got plenty loud but I found myself wanting some of that amp/cab color to my sound so I moved it on. Those 210's feel like your moving air though when transporting them. I haven't kept up on the EA stuff but they have a new driver/horn kit (I believe for the series III) that you can buy, and I thought there was a slight improvement to the cabs that way as compared to the originals.
  14. symcbass

symcbass

Thanks for this. I have read this a few times now. Definately out of the picture now.
  15. lazyone2

lazyone2

I have an original NL-210 and Iamp800 for about 6 years now and never had a problem. I do like my Wizzy 1x12m-line better but the NL can get much louder.
  16. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Sounds like they've already been decided against, but for the iAmp 800, the two best cabs for it IMO are the NL210 and the CXL112 in any combination. From the range of sounds desired, NL210s would be a great fit. I'm a former owner of the iAmp 800 and played it through these cabs (and owned CXL112s, only because I couldn't swing a great deal on NL210s).

I don't really know the GB Focus line, so I'm not knocking that at all.
  17. symcbass

symcbass

Thanks for all the advice guys.