Advice on green stain and basswood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by FenderBender82, Apr 15, 2014.

1. FenderBender82

FenderBender82

A few years back striped and stained this MIM 97 PBass with minwax tung oil. The end result is ok but the grain is raised in some spots and the wood isnt really a grade worth showing off.

So now I'm thinking of redoing the whole thing again. Heres some pics of it now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pics make it look alot darker than it is. I want to stain it green with a matching headstock similar to the color of this talman.
    [​IMG]

I did some research and i'm pretty sure the body is basswood. I'm wondering what product I should use to get this color and what I should finish it with to get the glossiest finish possible.

I have spray equipment for painting cars that I could use if needed. I was also curious about staining the body black then sanding it back to try and bring out some more figure.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Well, there is no way that your body will ever look like the bass in the picture, because the curly maple top is part of the look. In my opinion your bass would look better as a solid color.

But to answer your question, a tinted clear is your best bet to get a trans green like that. Since you have spray equipment you are good to go. Stewmac sells the tint you need for your clear.

Stealth Fighter likes this.